LF: Kessil Owners

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to decide between going with Radion XR15’s or Kessil AP9X and was curious if anyone that is running Kessil’s would be okay if I came to check out their tank.

Most LFS seem to be running Ecotech but I prefer the set it and forget it with Kessil and the shimmer.

Thanks

thunderreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run radion xr30 (I use to have the Kessil A360X), but you might try calling the Kona Reef Phoenix location. It’s been awhile since I’ve been there, but they use to run tanks with Kessil and others with Radions. You might also try the forum on azfrag.org to capture a few more local people for your question.

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run radion xr30 (I use to have the Kessil A360X), but you might try calling the Kona Reef Phoenix location. It’s been awhile since I’ve been there, but they use to run tanks with Kessil and others with Radions. You might also try the forum on azfrag.org to capture a few more local people for your question.
Can I ask why you switched from Kessil to Radion?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, Discount Aquarium has Kessils on at least some of their tanks.

thunderreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you switched from Kessil to Radion?
Yes, I liked the Kessil, but I also wanted to start adding montipora and acropora. With the Kessil, it’s great shimmer, but the spotlight affect resulted in major shading and the shaded portions of my bubblegum digitada were dying. I added a T5 hybrid to help, and did, but the radion xr30 gives a great spread, higher PAR, less expensive than the Kessil/T5 combo and seems like most of the acro farmers I follow and buy from use radion, so I switched. My 2 cents, BRS liked the hybrid Kessil/T5 because the Kessil needs the additional fill light to compensate for the shading. With the softies and LPS I originally was sticking to that have lower par requirements, I’m sure I would have been fine with the Kessil A360x, but hindsight wish I would have started with the xr30 and skipped the whole hybrid fixture for what I was trying to accomplish (aesthetics, cost, simplicity). I think you were comparing the xr15 and the AP9X. The AP9X has two light sources and the xr15 has one. The xr30 has two, so the AP9x might have better spread and less spotlight similar to the xr30. One of the BRS videos may cover that Kessil and it’s spread and par. All these options work, but does depend on what you want to accomplish, then there might be some better options than others. Hope that helps!

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to decide between going with Radion XR15’s or Kessil AP9X and was curious if anyone that is running Kessil’s would be okay if I came to check out their tank.

Most LFS seem to be running Ecotech but I prefer the set it and forget it with Kessil and the shimmer.

Thanks
I switched from Kessil A360s to the GHL Mitras LX7. Big change and big jump but I've had great success with the GHLs. Much more light, better fill - but they don't have the Kessil shimmer. :)

I apologize that I can't have any visitors and show you, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new in box Gen 5 XR15 I may be willing to sell... I want the G6 but BRS will charge a 10% restocking fee if I return the G5. If I end up getting the G6 I'd rather sell the G5 to a fellow reefer than get hit with that 10%. Let me know which direction you go.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back