LFS “live” rock

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a couple good LFS in my area but they all flat out refuse to sell any rock/rubble from their established tank sumps? i know the risks/ “pests” that could come along but some of the rock looks amazing and i’d love that diversity
they instead insist they sell live rock and point to bins with artificial rock made “live” by just bottled bacteria with its own system entirely
no little micro fauna or anything

anyone know why an lfs would flat out refuse to sell rock from their sumps?

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried also. And I’m assuming many have also.

The reason is they fall at fault for pests and stuff.. so it’s in the stores policy unfortunately.

So grab some rocks near perfect and hammer and a chisel away you go with making amazing rock scapes. Good Luck.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe because they don't want you to get the pests that lfs live rock often has.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a couple good LFS in my area but they all flat out refuse to sell any rock/rubble from their established tank sumps? i know the risks/ “pests” that could come along but some of the rock looks amazing and i’d love that diversity
they instead insist they sell live rock and point to bins with artificial rock made “live” by just bottled bacteria with its own system entirely
no little micro fauna or anything

anyone know why an lfs would flat out refuse to sell rock from their sumps?
Pests, they don't want to sell you an aptasia rock on accident, they're simply too much risk, the rock could have absorbed alot of phosphate or could have things like the larval stage of ich, plus it is part of their system so...

OP
OP
S

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried also. And I’m assuming many have also.

The reason is they fall at fault for pests and stuff.. so it’s in the stores policy unfortunately.

So grab some rocks near perfect and hammer and a chisel away you go with making amazing rock scapes. Good Luck.
my scapes are done and tanks are setup just seen some pieces with really cool sponges and coralline colors

OP
OP
S

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pests, they don't want to sell you an aptasia rock on accident, they're simply too much risk, the rock could have absorbed alot of phosphate or could have things like the larval stage of ich, plus it is part of their system so...
part of system i get that it’s part of filtration even though the systems are hundreds of gallons and have more than the tanks really need considering how hands on the store is

but the pest part is kinda what i find weird that it’s always flat out no and never like “we can” with a disclaimer or even waiver
sucks, but i’m sure my friends sumps have some cool pieces i can buy off them

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
part of system i get that it’s part of filtration even though the systems are hundreds of gallons and have more than the tanks really need considering how hands on the store is

but the pest part is kinda what i find weird that it’s always flat out no and never like “we can” with a disclaimer or even waiver
It is a store, they do have policies and don't have to make exceptions. Though after dealing with half the pests in this hobby I don't think it's worth the risk

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bet you aren't the only one who asks....

If they cave to you, then the next guy says you sold to him and on down the line it goes... pretty soon they are out of their filtration live rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back