LFS now will dip your corals

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something new and starting to gain momentum in the LFS to gain your trust and business. If you ask them to dip your corals prior to them bagging them they will do it, sometimes for free depending on how much you buy sometimes for a small fee which is worth every penny. It's safer and more delicate on the corals than doing it at home which we will do anyway but at least you can see plus know it's clean in front of them that no pests are coming out. I used to bring my own dips in the past and do it at their stores prior to bagging them. This way when they get home it's acclimation and in to quarantine.

OP
OP
bklynreef

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's happening in the NY NJ areas. They want your trust and business at all costs and they know you'll be a repeat customer. They want to show you they have clean corals before you get home and get upset if you see pests coming out. I just make sure they use the real stuff and not diluted so I bring my own Bayer, revive coral x ect

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really see how this would increase my trust level. If they dipped a coral in front of me and numerous critters started falling off I’d be far less inclined to shop there again. And what is the difference of you bringing your own dip and doing it at the store or doing it at home? If you dip at store and 50 flatworms fly off do you not buy it?

OP
OP
bklynreef

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really see how this would increase my trust level. If they dipped a coral in front of me and numerous critters started falling off I’d be far less inclined to shop there again. And what is the difference of you bringing your own dip and doing it at the store or doing it at home? If you dip at store and 50 flatworms fly off do you not buy it?
If you see flatworms then you clearly state that your not buying it and they know that which is why they are doing it. If it's my dip I know it not diluted.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather do it at the store than home, less hassle, more stable, less stress.
It takes me a solid hour to dip and inspect corals before they touch my water. Not a chance I'm hanging around the store for an extra hour. That would be way too expensive. The longer I stay, the more money I spend.

Last edited:

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly just expect to see things fall off when I dip. Kinda satisfying to watch, in my opinion, and I don’t really judge the store for it so much as I feel like it kind of just comes with the territory, but once again, just my opinion ;)

OP
OP
bklynreef

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dk, I think I trust my judgment better than the kids that work at the LFS haha
That's why you dip again at home. At least there you see whats going on before you spend hundreds or more only to get home to an infestation that you wouldn't even put in your qt tank.

OP
OP
bklynreef

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me a solid hour to dip and expect corals before they touch my water. Not a chance I'm hanging around the store for an extra hour. That would be way too expensive. The longer I stay, the more money I spend.
I guess that's why they do it and if you see clean corals you'll definitely buy more. Smart business

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather do it at the store than home, less hassle, more stable, less stress.
Ok well you do you.
If they are offering this as some sort of value added service, either for free or a small fee, then I suppose I could understand it. However as a trust builder this is a big ‘ ya whatever’ in my opinion. I guess it saves you $10 a year in buying coral dip. ;Facepalm

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bag it and let me go home, I'll take it from there lol
I'm fairly positive if you don't want to dip The shop to dip them, they won't refuse to sell them to you.

This is a value added proposition from a small business looking to differentiate themselves in a saturated world of crappy fish stores. Take it or leave it. Nobody's forcing you. Just like when they say would you like your receipt, I say heck no I don't need proof. They say ok and I walk out. .

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back