LFS sailinity trough the roof??

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought hermit crabs and beofre letting them in my tank I tested water they came with.
Ph 8.6 - API test
SG 1.035 - el cheapo reflectrometer calibrated against precision hydrometer, tested twice as I couldn't belive it.

I'm rethinking the idea of buying any fish or corals in there. Sailinity so high can't be good for anything.
Crabs are doing fine but they are hardy buggers, still, took me a whole day to slowly dilute that sailine they suffered to sane level.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought hermit crabs and beofre letting them in my tank I tested water they came with.
Ph 8.6 - API test
SG 1.035 - el cheapo reflectrometer calibrated against precision hydrometer, tested twice as I couldn't belive it.

I'm rethinking the idea of buying any fish or corals in there. Sailinity so high can't be good for anything.
Crabs are doing fine but they are hardy buggers, still, took me a whole day to slowly dilute that sailine they suffered to sane level.
I am imagining false readings.
I would suggest calibration of your refractometer units or even take a water sample if you still have some and have different LFS test to see what they come up with

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling two Store Employees Dumped Salt in the Central Sump. One took a reading and got delayed, and another one with their reading, in the meantime dumped salt in the Sump Basket.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am imagining false readings.
I would suggest calibration of your refractometer units or even take a water sample if you still have some and have different LFS test to see what they come up with
If that was el cheapo refractometer alone I would agree.
I used this: https://www.h2oaquatics.co.uk/product/tropic-marin-high-precision-hydrometer
to calibrate "el cheapo" and both are reading my salt mix at 1.020 when mixed as per on bucket instructions for 1.020 mix.
Also both read my target water at 1.025.

OP
OP
S

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, after chatting to the store manager it transpired "water guy" was on holiday and by mistake salt mix was used for topping off for 2 weeks, they are bringing it back down now and in 2-3 weeks should be back to 1.025

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back