Life of apex pH probe?

Patto005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the lifespan of a standard apex pH probe is? I have calibrated mine twice, but it is still reading pH in the 7.4-7.8 range. I don't have a manual test for pH so I'm not sure if this is accurate or not

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps your tank water is low in pH. Since you can calibrate the probe successfully and you have nothing to compare the reading to, then there is not much reason to believe that the probe is not working. You can check it by doing a calibration, then:
  1. rinse the probe in RO
  2. put the probe back in the 7.0 calibration buffer - give it a minute or two for the reading to stabilize; it should read 7.0 or very close to it.
  3. rinse the probe in RO
  4. put the probe back in the 10.0 calibration buffer - give it a minute or two for the reading to stabilize; it should read 10.0 or very close to it.

OP
OP
Patto005

Patto005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps your tank water is low in pH. Since you can calibrate the probe successfully and you have nothing to compare the reading to, then there is not much reason to believe that the probe is not working. You can check it by doing a calibration, then:
  1. rinse the probe in RO
  2. put the probe back in the 7.0 calibration buffer - give it a minute or two for the reading to stabilize; it should read 7.0 or very close to it.
  3. rinse the probe in RO
  4. put the probe back in the 10.0 calibration buffer - give it a minute or two for the reading to stabilize; it should read 10.0 or very close to it
Yes I did all that, but I bought my apex used and the probe was mostly dry when I received it. I ran the calibration and it appeared to calibrate fine. But I don't know how old the probe is and I don't think my ph should be that low. I have an api freshwater ph kit, will it work fine in saltwater or will it give inaccurate readings

OP
OP
Patto005

Patto005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. rinse the probe in RO
  3. rinse the probe in RO
  4. put the probe back in the 10.0 calibration buffer - give it a minute or two for the reading to stabilize; it should read 10.0 or very close to it
Yes I did all that, but I bought my apex used and the probe was mostly dry when I received it. I ran the calibration and it appeared to calibrate fine. But I don't know how old the probe is and I don't think my ph should be that low. I have an api freshwater ph kit, will it work fine in saltwater or will it give inaccurate readings

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it read the calibration solutions OK after calibration (I'd double check that), then the probe is likely good enough. It is tells you the slope after calibration, that can be an indication of how well it is functioning, but I do not know if the Apex does that. A perfect pH probe will have a slop of 1.00 and they often drop lower over time.

Probe life varies a lot, so there's no point in giving a specific time. I've had some last for many years, and I usually accidently break them before they stop working, but mine are not among the cheaper probes available.

OP
OP
Patto005

Patto005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks a lot. I will recalibrate it and see if I get different results. So are you saying that I shouldn't use the Api freshwater kit to test it? I haven't yet because I wasn't sure if it made a difference between salt and fresh water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there will be some differences in how pH dyes respond in fresh vs salt, I'm not sure any of the manufacturers actually recognize these differences and so am not sure they use their dyes differently. Fresh water pH kits, however, often do not cover the right range with appropriate precision since many freshwater tanks lie far outside the range for marine tanks.

So the answer depends on the kit and its range.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back