Life Reef Skimmer -- An Honest Review

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a lifereef for many years. There are some good things about them. Simple physical design. I like the external pump (not unique to them). I especially like that they take a standard pump and not a proprietary needlewheel pump. You can obviously save a couple hundred dollars and keep replacing with a jebao or mag drive rather than a heavily marked up skimmer specific pump.

But there are some real downsides I discovered after some years. First being height. You need height for them to work as well as they should. The shortest model which would fit under most typical aquaria has very little dwell and contact time. You have maybe an inch of bubble dwell before they go shooting up the neck.

Obviously the 36”+ tall models will be more effective for the higher flow venturi style. But that is impractical for most reef tank keepers.

On my recent tank I built a short stand so I could peer down at the tank rather than looking up at it. I favor branching corals and they obviously look better from above than below. My lifereef would no longer fit as even the shortest model is too tall.

I got a deal on a tunze 9430 I couldn’t pass up. It’s kind of the opposite design. Short squat very fat body. External pump. Tons of bubble dwell time in the chamber. I have been pleased with its performance. The pump has been problematic. The impeller didn’t sit flush and melted the plastic coating due to friction. Had to already replace the impeller and carefully sand out the impeller shaft to make it smooth again. It has already stalled several times and requires frequent maintenance and cleaning. I can foresee myself having to drop $300 on a replacement pump within the next couple years.

Tunze design and performance are fantastic. Their reliability has been about as bad as any brand I’ve used. This opinion based on the 5 tunze products I’ve purchased to date. Their reputation for longevity is puzzling because it’s been a nightmare with 4 of the 5 products I’ve purchased
Dwell time, or contact time, is greater in a venturi skimmer due to the random motion of the bubbles. Once in the neck is no longer skimming dwell time as the bubbles have done their job. And you cannot find any tall NW skimmers, can't do it without very costly pumps and all public aquarium displays still use venturi skimmers because you can make them tall.
Once a NW wet bubbles enter the neck they don't rise on their own. Bubbles reaching the surface don't go up any higher without all the other bubbles pushing them up the neck, and this does have dwell time, not good. During their slow movement to the top the proteins and solids fall back into the skimmer to get picked up again, and again, and again, and some of the solids collect in the skimmer body which is one reason nitrates are higher than in an aquarium using a venturi skimmer. In a venturi skimmer with all those different size bubbles any bubble larger than another moves up the neck, all the way to the top. This skimmate gets put into the cup faster and NO solids cake up inside the skimmer body. This is why early venturi skimmers never needed to come apart. The first skimmer ever to have a take-apart flange assembly was the downdraft, and it required disassembly to clean the long body because your arm wasn't long enough.
The ONLY difference between a true venturi skimmer and a NW is the size of the bubbles. All else is just bubbles in water inside a tube. But those difference in bubble sizes says it all when it comes to performance, contact time, faster skimmate/protein/solids removal.
The reason for the BUBBLE PLATE is to stop the turbulence because those tiny bubbles cannot tolerate much and would be pushed out of the skimmer. So, they must put those tiny bubbles into a calm column of water, and those bubbles are transported upwards as fast as possible, not good for contact time./
ALL skimmers work, and it isn't a skimmer design that produces a good foam, it is the water surface tension. You pump bubbles in, the water foams or doesn't foam, and you collect what you get. The real performance increases come when you keep those bubbles in the water for as long as possible and why larger aquariums require taller protein skimmers.
Any NW company that used to make tall skimmers (anything over 30") had them sized for larger aquariums too. When they discovered they could no longer make tall skimmers they now say their shorty skimmers can do the same capacity aquariums, I have doubts on this. Oh it will skim, but likely not be able to keep up with the proteins being produced by those larger aquariums.
All said, I'll never make a NW skimmer, I can't do that to my customers and why I never even considered making them when they first came out.
Finally, all skimmers work but why buy one when you have to buy their costly pump IF it is still made, or an entirely new skimmer that has a proprietary pump when a true venturi skimmer can use any water pump and will last a lifetime?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything covered with neither be positive or negative, just the observation.
Even observations end up being positive or negative, based on the mere observation. If the observation of others was positive, then that's good I'd say.

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s what’s happening with the Cor20. So many bubbles and not enough water to lift the bubble column
Mine gets pretty nasty too : )

IMG_8317.jpeg

IMG_8319.jpeg
That's a Lifereef! And you have the water level low so you're getting sludge in the top of the column. How often do you have to clean this sludge out?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still wait a LF skimmer...set up a 275 FOWLR thinking about the 30"er but then again I am worried it might disappoint.

love the RO I have used in the past , great skimmer just a bit to small for this tank.

looks like most that use LF really enjoy it. is that still the case in 2023?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong. Still not a display piece if you like to show off your sump. It's pretty basic but works great.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Had my first mishap this weekend. No bubbles. Opened up the venturi and found a snail shell in there! Removed it and we are back in business. The ease of a DIY fix is just a small example of house awesome these skimmers are. I also recently upgraded my pump from a mag9.5 to a mag24 and man... this thing is pulling some naaaaaasty stuff out and my tank has never looked better.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still wait a LF skimmer...set up a 275 FOWLR thinking about the 30"er but then again I am worried it might disappoint.

love the RO I have used in the past , great skimmer just a bit to small for this tank.

looks like most that use LF really enjoy it. is that still the case in 2023?

The only thing about mine is I wish I would have ordered the flanged model for when I clean it once a year.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong. Still not a display piece if you like to show off your sump. It's pretty basic but works great.
IDK they dont look to bad sticking out of the sump. with all the fancy colors you can get to match your plumping/sump.
but yeah I hear you somelike to make there sump as nice as there DT.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still like all of mine. I do run them alongside needlewheels and they do perform better for me, but a best-of-breed type of needle wheel is still pretty good. IMO, LifeReef crushes run-of-the-mill needle wheels.

I am a believer in non-uniform bubble size for best results in skimmers. These types are not for everybody since they do require a bit of dial in.

I also run my LRs without using the collection cup for air since this can limit oxygenation, so they do make a bit of noise which I do not care about at all. Edit: I could put a silencer on them, but I don't see the need.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run my LRs without using the collection cup for air since this can limit oxygenation, so they do make a bit of noise which I do not care about at all. Edit: I could put a silencer on them, but I don't see the need.

Could you clarify what you mean here? Do you mean the collection cup 'lid' or do you actually mean the collection cup? If collection cup then this skimmer isn't collecting waste, correct?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air hose to the venturi is some models is connected to the top of the collection cup. This is for noise and also to shut down the venturi if the skimmer cup fills up. I just pull the hose off of the cup.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air hose to the venturi is some models is connected to the top of the collection cup. This is for noise and also to shut down the venturi if the skimmer cup fills up. I just pull the hose off of the cup.

Got it - thanks. I misunderstood.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The downside to recycling air from any skimmer cup is decreased oxygenation. This may not be a big deal if your tank has good gas exchange from other places. It might matter a lot. In any case, you can make or buy silencers.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also now run my Lifereef with a RO needle wheel on a 400 gallon. I really think the needle wheel pulls more stuff and stays set better. I do like a lot of features about LR how we.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me less than Five Minutes to clean each of my two LifeReef Skimmers. I hit the10 minute Fed Button on the First, pull the Cup, clean it with Warm Water and a single Philips Baby Bottle Brush. Reinstall the Cup. Repeat with the other one. Go back to the first one and watch for it to restart. Once in awhile I’ll Wipe out the Throat. Maybe Twice a year, I tube brush the Ventura, and clean the pumps. You don’t need to clean the body, ever.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at these a few years ago and talked to the owner about the benefits for about an hour. He's a great guy and doing great things for the hobby. I think when we're looking to innovate we need to innovate the right things. The skimmers he builds are spot on, they work. I thought about getting a tall one for my 340g display. 36" or 48" tall, but, the pump noise / venturi is what I'm concerned about to push water that high. The sump is in my furnace room next to my home theater. Right now my external reeflo hammerhead return pump has a loud hum that can be heard on the second floor of the house. Hate to have the venturi noise of the skimmer disrupting movies as well.

I may pull the trigger some day, but, my Reef Octopus skimmer with DC pump has been doing a great job so far. I pull out 5 gallons of brown and black skimmate every 1-2 months with a light to moderate stocking of around 15-20 fish. I feed heavy though and also have an algae turf scrubber for added filtration.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently run a sicce 5.5 on my 24 and get good results. I'm thinking about upgrading pumps to a sicce 7 or 9 to see if it improves the production. What pump are you all currently running and has anyone upgraded their pumps and seen much better results? Just trying to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze! Thanks as always!

Deviant Nation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone in this chat switched their LR to the Mazzei Venturi style vs the regular one? I have seen some other places where people have mentioned this makes the LR skimmers work even better and easier to dial in. If you have tried both what are your experiences? Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back