Custom skimmers

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited multiple needle wheel pumps from a guy who got out of the hobby. Does anyone know who I can speak with making custom skimmers? Jeff at lifereef, I won t speak with cause I know he hates needlewheels. Nice guy, but no sense in speaking with a guy who does not appreciate the finer points of needlewheels LIKE MUCH quieter than the Venturis he makes, LOL. Thanks

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited multiple needle wheel pumps from a guy who got out of the hobby. Does anyone know who I can speak with making custom skimmers? Jeff at lifereef, I won t speak with cause I know he hates needlewheels. Nice guy, but no sense in speaking with a guy who does not appreciate the finer points of needlewheels LIKE MUCH quieter than the Venturis he makes, LOL. Thanks

You put a lot of thought into your post but you are correct. Jeff makes what he makes and has for a while now. If it isn't broke, don't fix it so he sees no reason to change. The few changes he has made to his products have been for quality of life. But you know this so there is that.

In any case you mentioned custom so not sure to be honest. MRC offers what you are looking for but how it relates to custom I cant' say. Height, volume, etc. Also I can't say how they work as I've not owned one. The few I've seen are built very well though. So I don't think they are bad.

Couldn't hurt to message them via their portal. Best of luck.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strongly consider that most good skimmers are just that way on accident. The maker just happened to get the body and stuff right along with the pump. I have rarely seen a custom skimmer work better than a tried-and-true model that time has selected to still be used. Not all NW pumps are the same either. Be careful... you could spend 3x as much on a custom build and have it be half as good. It could be awesome too.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strongly consider that most good skimmers are just that way on accident. The maker just happened to get the body and stuff right along with the pump. I have rarely seen a custom skimmer work better than a tried-and-true model that time has selected to still be used. Not all NW pumps are the same either. Be careful... you could spend 3x as much on a custom build and have it be half as good. It could be awesome too.
Yes u are right. I prefer needlewheels CAUSE They are quieter and cheaper to run as I have Multiple tanks. I Might just Go skimmerless until I decide. Thanks

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put a lot of thought into your post but you are correct. Jeff makes what he makes and has for a while now. If it isn't broke, don't fix it so he sees no reason to change. The few changes he has made to his products have been for quality of life. But you know this so there is that.

In any case you mentioned custom so not sure to be honest. MRC offers what you are looking for but how it relates to custom I cant' say. Height, volume, etc. Also I can't say how they work as I've not owned one. The few I've seen are built very well though. So I don't think they are bad.

Couldn't hurt to message them via their portal. Best of luck.
Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good NWs are not always quieter. They still have to pull air and have somewhat powerful pumps if they are going to skim much. You can put a silencer on a LifeReef and use a DC pump and never hear it.

In the end, if you want them to perform about the same, they are going to sound similar.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that needle wheels aspirate air and cut the bubbles into fine bubbles carrying up the organics.I have had the Lifereef years ago and they were louder and required strong pumps.Also they are twice the price of Reef octo or bubble magus or other comparable skimmers.I personally like needle wheels due to less electric cost as I have multiple tanks.Thanks for ur input.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you need/want a custom as their are so many nice units available.
My Tunze 9430 dc is quiet and requires nothing more than cleaning the cup. The cup and neck come out as one unit. Super simple to clean. Very underrated skimmers, imo.
20210410_064647.jpg

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I Inherited several needlewheel pumps that I want to use.No skimmer body just pumps.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I Inherited several needlewheel pumps that I want to use.No skimmer body just pumps.

I think they are saying that it may be cheaper to buy something already made vs custom (unless you have certain height or similar requirements).

I'm guessing they are thinking it is a lot like buying a new car when all you need to do is buy a new set of tires...

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked Craigslist, Facebook market place, eBay, and the for sale section here? Maybe you can find and old MRC Orca that needs a pump or something.

Corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back