Lifegard Aquatics UV Sterilizers?

Hmmm - Never seen this from mine
 
I just replaced my sleeves two weeks ago after two years and while they were definitely affected by the UV, they were a light tea color and kind of tacky but nothing came off when I rubbed them. I turn mine off for four hours once a week right after I bacteria dose and never notice anything out of the ordinary.
E57C5691-D076-4BF0-908E-DFF8B94B3806.jpeg
 
I just replaced my sleeves two weeks ago after two years and while they were definitely affected by the UV, they were a light tea color and kind of tacky but nothing came off when I rubbed them. I turn mine off for four hours once a week right after I bacteria dose and never notice anything out of the ordinary.
E57C5691-D076-4BF0-908E-DFF8B94B3806.jpeg
Try rubbing them a few weeks after replacing it. I’m positive these things break down. I would imagine pvc would be inert so hopefully I don’t have anything to worry about.
 
Just a bump from this old thread to see if others have this issue before choosing a UV.
 
Anyone notice a milky white substance on the protective sleeves? It appears the UV light breaks this material down. When I turn my return pump off then on again, milky water comes out for a few seconds and clouds the tank.

To confirm it is coming from the sleeve, I opened the unit up and rubbed my finger against the sleeve. My finger had the milky substance on it.

My concern is obviously, will this be detrimental to my corals?
I have not but bought a new one and will see when I fire it up

23DFD875-F31A-449A-85D6-926F2AFAD566.jpeg
 
I am also wondering about the milky white liquid. Mine has small pieces as well that I can only describe as slime as it disappears and falls apart when touched. Lifeguard 40w is brand new. Maybe 2-3 weeks old
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new