Light for a 20 gallon tank

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 wanna get a light for a 20 gallon tank now that my 10 gallon got busted (cracked) and the light for the 10 gallon wouldn't work for the 20 (due to the fact its BARELY ok for SPS on a 10)

i have a relatively low budget (under $50-$100, depends) but i wanna be able to grow sps / lps / etc. in the tank when i finally get cycle 2 electric boogaloo sorted. the nicrew that ive got actually also barely fits because of the brackets. i may use it for something else in the future but for now i can't really use it. i do have it precariously at the end of its bracket lengths sitting on the tank but i dont really trust it. also, i have no lid. because the 10 gallon glass lid is too short and also too wide. :/ i dont wanna use a screen but for now im genuinely debating on using saran wrap as a makeshift lid until i can get a new one.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1 wanna get a light for a 20 gallon tank now that my 10 gallon got busted (cracked) and the light for the 10 gallon wouldn't work for the 20 (due to the fact its BARELY ok for SPS on a 10)

i have a relatively low budget (under $50-$100, depends) but i wanna be able to grow sps / lps / etc. in the tank when i finally get cycle 2 electric boogaloo sorted. the nicrew that ive got actually also barely fits because of the brackets. i may use it for something else in the future but for now i can't really use it. i do have it precariously at the end of its bracket lengths sitting on the tank but i dont really trust it. also, i have no lid. because the 10 gallon glass lid is too short and also too wide. :/ i dont wanna use a screen but for now im genuinely debating on using saran wrap as a makeshift lid until i can get a new one.
Get with @Zach B for the @noopsyche Mini? It's worth it!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem: seems to only have a bracket for rimless tanks - i don't own a single rimless tank!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Only problem: seems to only have a bracket for rimless tanks - i don't own a single rimless tank!
I don't have the mini but I use the older Pro II, and V3 plus a Pro III and my tank isn't rimless. It's a really tight fit but it works.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I believe @Projects with Sam has a bracket he prints to adapt to a rimmed tank.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the mini but I use the older Pro II, and V3 plus a Pro III and my tank isn't rimless. It's a really tight fit but it works.
are those in my price range? not sure where to google those, and its frustrating having to search bc i have to manually copy paste my 'i' every time i need to use it lol.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The link I posted should take you straight to the light. It's currently $105 so just out of your price range you mentioned.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, duh. i might be able to make it work... any other suggestions?
Nicrew is an inexpensive one that people use off Amazon. I have a 30 watt for my 5 gallon planted freshwater that does ok, but I prefer my Noopsyche lights. The Mini is the only one I don't own currently.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicrew is an inexpensive one that people use off Amazon. I have a 30 watt for my 5 gallon planted freshwater that does ok, but I prefer my Noopsyche lights. The Mini is the only one I don't own currently.
My 10 gallon one is actually a nicrew! i wish it was more powerful though... i dunno if its good for a 20 gallon at all.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't get me wrong though, they will grow corals - SPS, LPS, and softies.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can always get a second one and use two lights on the 20.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong though, they will grow corals - SPS, LPS, and softies.
Will they? Everybody says they wouldn't! i may get a second one then... not sure what to do about the lid though - they say to keep them protected from moisture. not to mention i have this little... hob... thing i use as a skimmer atm, its actually a fluval breeder box with rubble rock in it and an empty chamber. i throw all my bristleworms in it lol. is there a way to keep the light "shaded" from the rest of the room? the nicrews are pretty bright.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My 5 gallon was a reef tank before it was a planted freshwater. I had some Leptos, GSP, Stylophora, Digitata Spongodes, Montipora Cap, Montipora Setosa, Zoanthids, and Palythoas all growing. I was running 100% on the blue channel and 10% (minimum setting) on the white channel.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 gallon was a reef tank before it was a planted freshwater. I had some Leptos, GSP, Stylophora, Digitata Spongodes, Montipora Cap, Montipora Setosa, Zoanthids, and Palythoas all growing. I was running 100% on the blue channel and 10% (minimum setting) on the white channel.
1 don't know how to turn down the channels on the n1crew here - the manual doesn't expla1n 1t very well to me. 1 just start the blues at 10 AM, turn the wh1tes on at 11, and turn the wh1tes off at 6 PM, and the blues at 7.

... 1t occurs to me 1n text that my math m1ght be wrong... 1 should be do1ng the blues 10-6 and the wh1tes 11-5... or...?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your tank is happy, let it be. I have the older Nicrew and just had it running on a timer. No ramp up or down, only 1 on/off. I have the controller with B M W buttons and I set the Blue all the way up and White up 1 click from 0. White isn't completely necessary for the corals and is mostly for your viewing preferences. (Some corals do get benefit from the white spectrum but so do most algae).

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Noopsyche lights are rampable and I ramp up and down with white starting an hour after blue and turning off and hour before. I run mine 8 am to 10 pm blue and 9 am to 9 pm white, but each tank is different so you will want to figure out what works best for you with your corals, fish, and algae growth. My max intensity is only from 11 to 6.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back