Light Friendly Clear Mesh Screen Cover for Open Top Tanks-Standard/Rimless-w/Pictures

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my mesh and I am trying to make a frame for my 90 surfline aquarium! Lets say that I have some challenages to overcome. I need to try and bend the frame to fit the wave front and also have to cut the corner pieces. Also I have to make a cut out in the frame to make an area for my returns to come over. The problems I have had so far is with the wave front kinking when I bend and also the frame warping when I tray to install the screen because when I try to add turns for the return pipe the frame looses its stregth and tweaks itself. Any ideas would be welcome if not I will try to post some pictures of my process.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic'a always help. 1smile1 I think the best way to make it fit the wave would be to try to heat and bend the frame so no kinking. You could try to cut out small triangular notches but that might weaken the frame to much.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to try assembel mine to a picture frame made out of extra clear plexiglass. the reason is i have my returns come up and over the rim of the tank. it be hard to frame around the returns, but if i drill hole in the frame just big enough for the return through. this way none of my future wrasse or any other fish can jump out...i hope

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get some time I am going to make a wood template of the curve and then use a torch to heat the frame to conform to the curve without kinking I hope.

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acroholic, I have been meaning to ask you for a FTS of your rimless so I can see what it looks like while standing away from the tank. Thank you for making this thread!

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally figured out how to make at frame for the wave front tank!

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a great deal of trouble trying to get the window frame to bend to the sharp curves of my wave tank. So I had to come up with something better, and was given a suggestion by a fellow reefer to use egg crate / light diffuser as the frame and to just zip time the screen material onto it. and this has worked great!

2011-06-05_20-28-29_849.jpg

2011-06-05_20-28-39_554.jpg

2011-06-05_20-28-46_935.jpg

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i have been trying to find the screen locally and had no luck! lowes here doesnt have a clue what im talking about, home depot just has a 14' x 14' bird screening for a garden.. if your got this at home depot or lowes do you happen to have the item number? or a picture of the roll/box? im wanting to get some for my tanks but figured i could get it locally and not have to have you ship me some... but its been harder to find than i expected...

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i was hoping to find a roll. i have several people in our local club that want them as well and was just gonna start making them from everyone or sell them the screen off a roll. i guess if he is the cheapest i may have to see about getting it from him, if he has any left....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back