DIY tank mesh lid Jumpguard on Low Boy frag tank

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I just finished setting up a new frag tank. It is a Zoo Med Low Bow frag tank (50 gallon) and it looks awesome. I drilled it and installed an Eshopps Eclipse S (I had to trim about 1cm on the top of the internal strainer box in order to raise the water level a bit) and all looks very good.

Now the question is about weather to put a mesh lid or not. All my other tanks have mesh covers, all DD Jumpguards. In fact, I already bought the kit for this tank. The thing is that this tank is very large (in surface area) and therefore the lid would be very large and a bit unconfortable to handle. On the other hand, I hate losing fish (jumpers). I plan to put 2 clowns, 1 lawnmower and 1 juvenile tomini tang (the smallest of tangs).

Anybody built a lid for a similar tank? Can share pictures and experiences? Should I make it 1 piece of 2 pieces? Your opinions, recommendations and pictures of similar projects are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your feedback. What do you mean with butt them up? Just place wide by side?
Correct.. I did this with my custom lids as one piece is to big at 30”x72 lol the just sit side by side and touch each other.

OP
OP
Rimsky

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.. I did this with my custom lids as one piece is to big at 30”x72 lol the just sit side by side and touch each other.
Can you share a pic? Is yours a rimmed tank? Mine is, so I don't know if there is a better way to make them with the DD Jumpguard for a rimmed tank. Perhaps it should sit on the rim lip.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have close ups on me, as I’m at work.. if you zoom in you can see the center and both pieces just butt up together.
IMG_2704.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back