Easiest, cleanest DIY aquarium lid!

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d been looking for a way to make better lid for long time. I had made some out of egg crate from Home Depot, (like $20 per 2’x4) but smaller fish jumped through or got stuck in the holes because they’re too big and it didn’t seal holes around pump returns.

I ended up taking the egg crate, cutting out the center leaving only a frame, and zip tieing some 1/4” hole mesh I found on amazon. Super simple, and it can go around things like returns or whatever else you need to shape it to.

The reason I cut out the center of the egg crate instead of just putting the mesh over the egg crate is because the egg crate I noticed blocked small amount of light. I could tell light was slightly dimmer on my corals. The mesh blocks no light.

I’m SO happy with it! I was trying all kinds of ways to attach mesh to tank with hooks etc, then realized I could just repurpose the egg crate as frames for the mesh!

IMG_0403.jpeg IMG_0404.jpeg IMG_0405.jpeg IMG_0406.jpeg IMG_0376.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool didn't know they make one.
Does the egg crate become more brittle over time? The egg crate I have is plenty sturdy enough for me.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home depot sells diy screen frame kits.
Less than brs, if you already have the mesh.

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you didn't use window screen frame? Like this?
17058718187915491499133007891134.jpg
Well I already had the egg crate, but even if I didn't, the kits to make screens with those frames seemed intimidating to me. I need special tools? Requires cutting metal with some kind of saw? how do I get around return pumps? This requires no tools, just egg crate from home depot or maybe Amazon also? Mesh from amazon, tie wraps amazon. Can fit around any obstacle.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I already had the egg crate, but even if I didn't, the kits to make screens with those frames seemed intimidating to me. I need special tools? Requires cutting metal with some kind of saw? how do I get around return pumps? This requires no tools, just egg crate from home depot or maybe Amazon also? Mesh from amazon, tie wraps amazon. Can fit around any obstacle.
I suppose,
I find it easier and cleaner to cut aluminum framing. You can use a simple hacksaw when cutting it. When I have cut styrene Eggcrate, I have found that it doesn't line up with a cross-section and will often break while cutting.

But to each his own. It's good you found a solution that works for you.

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose,
I find it easier and cleaner to cut aluminum framing. You can use a simple hacksaw when cutting it. When I have cut styrene Eggcrate, I have found that it doesn't line up with a cross-section and will often break while cutting.

Thanks for the info. Good to know it's not super hard, but how do you get around return pump etc?

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose,

Oh also I just use a pair of dykes/wire cutters.

OP
OP
Bitcoin Reefer

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough I was just over on Humblefish and saw that in QT post I'm reading through they do what I do!!? What a random thing to come across when I just made this post LOL. Great minds think alike I guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back