Light Questions!

Hdoll1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef family!

Just bought a used RSM c250 and can't wait to set it up. It has T5's currently. I've read for coral growth that's great but I'm worried about my acans. If I upgrade these lights to LED, how much more than my AI Prime I'm using in my RSM 130 will I need? Do people ever mount lights like those inside the RSM hood? I'm not doing SPS right now, but don't want to rule it out. Since it's only 10" longer than the RSM130, shouldn't I just be able to add another prime? Any way to use both the T5's and LED's? I need a mentor!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef family!

Just bought a used RSM c250 and can't wait to set it up. It has T5's currently. I've read for coral growth that's great but I'm worried about my acans. If I upgrade these lights to LED, how much more than my AI Prime I'm using in my RSM 130 will I need? Do people ever mount lights like those inside the RSM hood? I'm not doing SPS right now, but don't want to rule it out. Since it's only 10" longer than the RSM130, shouldn't I just be able to add another prime? Any way to use both the T5's and LED's? I need a mentor!

Hi @Hdoll1222!

No need to change your lighting to LED for your acans. As a matter of fact, T5s provide better results for acans than any LED. So, instead of spending your money on LED lighting, you can now buy more acans! ;):);)

BTW - I see you've only been on R2R for about a month. Welcome and if you've not posted an "introductory" message in the Meet and Greet forum, I highly suggest it. If you have already posted there, welcome anyways!

Edit; I see you have posted in the M & G forum.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef family!

T5s would be good for any coral as long as the tank isn’t too deep. If you want to integrate LEDs with T5 then aquatic life makes a hybrid that allows you to use your current led with the t5.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back