light upgrades?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 4 foot 75 gallon mixed reef. Nothing too crazy, mostly lower light corals like acans, hammers, zoas, etc with some things like montipora and birdsnest here and there. My problem is i want better spread. Currently I have 2 noopsyche k7 pro 2's and i like them well enough, especially for their price point. I cant particularly mount them any higher as i dont have a way to do that effectively with my set up (may be changing with an upcoming move). At first i was going to go for an LED t5 hybrid to get that supplemental light and "wrap around" from the bulbs, but REALLY hate the idea of keeping up with changing them. I could just get 2 more of what i have, and that would work if i just turn them all down to get roughly the same output and would overall look better with the reduced shading. But for around the same price (i can get the 2 extra fixtures for about $500) would you guys suggest anything nicer that still accomplishes my goal? i like the aesthetic of nice white sunlight which some LEDs arent really made to capture all too easily on a budget, but so far ive considered maybe AI primes? any suggestions, input or experience would be much appreciated!

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go with reefbrite LED strips. I run the XHO’s but they’ve also got the lumi lite and lumi lite pro depending on what the budget allows. They do a pretty good job at coming close to a T5 without having to change bulbs. I was in your same situation and that’s what I ended up doing. I’ve never ran the lumi lite or the pro’s though, just XHO’s.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked out Orphrek OR3 LED bar? Good replacement for T5. Quite affordable as a top of the line LED too.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could just get 2 more of what i have, and that would work if i just turn them all down to get roughly the same output and would overall look better with the reduced shading. But for around the same price (i can get the 2 extra fixtures for about $500) would you guys suggest anything nicer that still accomplishes my goal? i like the aesthetic of nice white sunlight which some LEDs arent really made to capture all too easily on a budget, but so far ive considered maybe AI primes? any suggestions, input or experience would be much appreciated!
1 Noopsyche is basically an AI hydra, or 2 primes, so switching out to Primes would not be an upgrade in terms of spread.

I would just get 2 more K7s. Shouldn't it be more like 300$?

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Noopsyche is basically an AI hydra, or 2 primes, so switching out to Primes would not be an upgrade in terms of spread.

I would just get 2 more K7s. Shouldn't it be more like 300$?
Well I'm also looking at quality and spectrum. And yeah it probably is closer to $300-$400 I'm just trying to remember how much I paid originally for my whole light set up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back