Lighting 115gallong tall

  • Thread starter Thread starter Striike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Striike

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
260
Reaction score
131
Location
Chattanooga
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, lots of stuff going on. Well, the storm last night knocked out the power some time during the night. My overflow box uses 2 siphoned tubes to move water out of the tank down to the sump. Well, one of them failed. I'd planned for this, so my water levels were set so the DT wouldn't overflow. Problem is, I had just added make up water that evening, so the level was a little too high, and I had about 1/2 gallon of water spill onto the floor. Not a huge deal, mind you, but it got me motivated to ditch the overflow box concept, I just don't like the idea of that happening if I were out of town or something. So, I'm going to change tanks. I talked to the wife, and since we're getting another tank built...might as well make it bigger!!!
I'm looking at a 115 tall 48X18X31 from glass cages. I chose this size because it will fit in the stand/canopy that I spent hours building for the 75. But I'm concerned with the depth of the tank. Currently I'm running a fluorescent fixture 2 actinic, 2 12000k for a total of 208 watts. I'm thinking this won't be enough unless I want only corals at the very top of my LR. I've been eye-balling MH fixtures, but wanted some insight on what I will need for this tank now, and for future use.
This is a reef tank, and I want to capable of putting anything in here without lighting becoming a restraint in the future. So should I look at 2x250w MH, 2x400w? Thoughts, suggestions, as always, are appreciated.
 
Personally I would go for 2x metal halides, or even some of the new LED concepts that are falling into the price range of us normal folks. I may also suggest you look into OCEA LLC to get your tank, they are closer to us and built a tank nearly that size not too long ago for me
 
Personally I would go for 2x metal halides, or even some of the new LED concepts that are falling into the price range of us normal folks. I may also suggest you look into OCEA LLC to get your tank, they are closer to us and built a tank nearly that size not too long ago for me

Glasscages.com has free pickup in Dickson, TN. About a 2 hour drive. So I'll check out Ocea for sure. Thanks!

Just to be clear I'm planning on 2x MH, but need some guidance on wattage and kelvin if anyone has any.
 
I would also recomend you check out OCEA, they usually can work out great delivery options.

AS for lights, that is a DEEP tank, you will do fine with two 250 watt halides. One 250 is bascially lighting a 24" cube. So you are alittle deep, if you get something with a good reflector you will be fine. I wouldnt get anything bigger than a 250 watt. I know you are probly set on keeping your stand and canopy, but take a look at the pricing on OCEAs tanks with stand and canopy. With a reef I think you would be much happier with a standard 120 gallon 48X24X24. Just my opinion!
 
Ocea LLC

Ok, does Ocea LLC still exist? I can't find a working website with that name, and the only post I found about them was over a year ago.

Anyone have contact info?
 
I don't have personal experience but from what I have seen on other peoples tanks I agree with Ironman that as long as you have good reflectors two 250 watters should do fine. But I probably wouldn't plan on keeping any SPS corals near the bottom.
 
Hey, thanks for the input all. Now does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy? I'm leaning towards a retrofit set, ICECAP, 250W 14,000K. This throw up a red flag for anyone? BTW, I am opting to go with a 90 instead of the 110 because the extra ~5" costs a lot more because of glass thickness. I'll upgrade to a bigger tank down the road once I master the one I have.
 
I used 250W DE 14K phoenixes on Icecaps on my 115g (30" tall) reef for years with excellent results.
 
there are alot of options with lights, I do like the Icecap electronic ballasts. so good choice there. Im am currently running them with two lumenarc reflectors, and Radium 20K bulbs (single end) If you choose double end HQI then Phoenix makes a great 14K bulb with almost identical color to the radium 20K.

If you arnt in a huge hurry come to the meeting may 30th at my house and you can check out my lights on my main tank, and I also have a double ended HQI with a phoenix 14K running my frag tank you can look at to.
 
@SDguy - Good to know, thanks for the insight.

@ironman - I'll take you up on that. I am not planning on buying prior to the meet.

2 questions. Why 20,0000K? Why single vs double end, or the other way around?
 
When you run a radium 20K on a icecap electronic ballast you get an amazing color plus you get good par. Double ended have there goods and bads. I can get into detail but would probly be easier and less confusing at the meeting to show you.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new