Lighting and Coral Growth

  • Thread starter Thread starter McGene
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
This spectrum produced the highest growth in Porites corals, although, when compared to 3 other light sources, was not statistically significant. PAR was constant throughout the 12 hour photoperiod.
1568863304119.png
 
On a somewhat related topic of lighting (not so much about growth)....
I don't seem to get the shimmer with my LED lights that I once got with my Metal Halides.
Is this just the nature of LEDs or am I not using the correct spectrum?
 
On a somewhat related topic of lighting (not so much about growth)....
I don't seem to get the shimmer with my LED lights that I once got with my Metal Halides.
Is this just the nature of LEDs or am I not using the correct spectrum?
The LEDs would need to act as a point source of light in order to get the shimmer seen when using metal halides. Some of the luminaires containing pucks should give you this effect, although I get some when using LED strip lights.
 
Thanks Dana. Did you see the light I currently use in my original post? It’s pretty old and somewhat difficult to program.......but it’s paid for and generally does the job I need.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new