Lighting and dosing requirements for a unique Reef

funkyrxman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hive mind. So I was going for a 500g FOWLR, 450 dt + 50 sump. Got some Xenia and star polyps to see if it would work. Now my wife loves the flowy look of the corals. I'd still like to keep the fish plan with triggers, angels, tangs, maybe a puffer. I like the softies too. I figure if I can get stuff to grow, then if somebody chomps on it, no big deal. Here's the thing though: tank is 48" deep, and currently has 2 36 watt current orbit led fixtures. I know the softies need less light generally, and less supplementation. Think my lights are too weak though? Think I can keep the big 3 parameters in check with BRS 2 part? Will it cost a fortune in 2 part? I'm looking at colts, leathers, sinularia, Xenia, polyps, zoos, palys, maybe a hammer if I can get away with it. I'm drooling over Radion lights, but the price hurts. I want those radions so I can link them to my wxm, but sounds like overkill. Light suggestions? My aquascape raises corals up to 15 or so inches off the bottom.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably try to raise the corals up more... You're gonna need some serious light to reach 4' deep, even for "low light" corals.

Do you have a pic?

OP
OP
funkyrxman

funkyrxman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c578b11ef3d757013218df7a0d5ff466.jpg

31c13a85a201ac2a13ac83f1629c343d.jpg

You can see the little whitish speck of Xenia dead center. Cleaning the acrylic and back wall today. Excuse the mess.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black box Chinese lights will be plenty. Need to know the dime to make a reccomendation. Many can be hacked to allow Apex control but many are also wifi.

Also the dims and or pic of the interior canopy.

Two part may be fine but you'll want to see your consumption ultimately. Diy is also an option. And you can keep a lower alk as well. I've spoken to some shroom fans who run low alk like 6.5 and reccomend it.

I would be cautious with weeds in a deep tank. Have a plan to remove them or isolate them. You will at some point. Not a bad thing just a fact.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure t5's or even metal malides would work. The only issue is that t5's and mh run really hot and need more fans and cooling ballasts. Im not too sure about zoas since Ive heard angelfish nipping them. Research specific fish and how reef safe they are

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back