Lighting decisions Orphek or G6's

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank is plant aquarium 155 gallon with an internal center overflow 48x30x 24 tall

Current lighting is 1 Orphek ICon full size in the center with x2 or30 blue plus and sky blue bars. the single icon is not enough to light the sides. I have a soffit above the tank that limits me from running 2 full size icons side to side. I considered adding a compact next to the full size to spread the light to the sides.

Orphek Problems:
The front of my rock is still shadowed because I can't get the Orpheks high enough to spread the light. they are currently 13" from the water. I can't run them front to back and run my or30 bars. not enough room in the soffit.

The Orphek app really sucks!!
Orphek Pro: they look really good to the eye and the can grow coral!

Option 1: add 3 Orphek compacts and run my or30 bars at the current 13" off of the water. should be able to spread the light better by moving the center compact forward.
Option 2 Change lights to Radion pro g6

A. x3 xr 15 pros with x2 Or 30 bars
B. x2 XR 30 pro with 1 xr 15 in the center- Possibly add OR30 bars.
C. 3 xr 30 pros with 2 on the sides front to back and a center left to right. Possibly add OR30 bars

My goal is an SPS dominant tank with clams and LPS low

the G6's are appealing because I do have the MXM module for control and way easier to deal with than the orphek app. but Once either are set, the apps no longer matter

Am I really gaining anything over the orpheks with the G6's?

71375356725__BC39C70B-595D-4CDB-82D9-E5C35E81FD5A.jpg Tank 2.jpg

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have the Icon, I recommend that you stay with Orphek. That way you have consistency and you should be able to use the app to control it all from 1 place. I know it sucks a bit but I feel its better than having 2 apps and possibly battling the balance of light between 2 types.
just my 2 wooden nickels of thought.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Since you already have the Icon, I recommend that you stay with Orphek. That way you have consistency and you should be able to use the app to control it all from 1 place. I know it sucks a bit but I feel its better than having 2 apps and possibly battling the balance of light between 2 types.
just my 2 wooden nickels of thought.
I am leaning that way. they really are a great light

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bought a par meter. I am getting over 500 par about 6" down. The biggest thing I am finding is the drop off to the sides. around 150ish. My lights are not high enough to spread evenly. I am getting about 200 at the bottom. The lights are at 60%.

I cant mount my lights any higher. I can add a light but then I would have a really big hot spot of 5 to 600 par across the tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back