• T5

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! My girlfriend bought me a 40 gallon breeder for christmas and I'm looking at lighting for those dimensions and I am freaking out! No way I can spend over 400 bucks with our budget in 1 shot. Yet I want to get this tank rolling. I have 50 pounds of reef saver rock from BRS coming, and already have Dr Tims coming as well. Getting a stand by new years. Just curious about lighting. I've checked posts from the past on here and about 90% of what was recommended is no longer available. Thanks!!

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 bulb unit over an Aqueon 75 and use 3 blue plus and 1 actinic by ATI. The tank has softy, lps & goniopora. I had led over the nano but when I moved into the 75 I was able to use a fixture for t5 until I could afford led but now I plan on staying with t5 since the corals are doing so much better. I'll add a small led strip soon though because I enjoy the shimmer that led had.

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 bulb unit over an Aqueon 75 and use 3 blue plus and 1 actinic by ATI. The tank has softy, lps & goniopora. I had led over the nano but when I moved into the 75 I was able to use a fixture for t5 until I could afford led but now I plan on staying with t5 since the corals are doing so much better. I'll add a small led strip soon though because I enjoy the shimmer that led had.
Chef! That sounds awesome! I may go LED though since I am seeing some pretty sweet options on amazon. I dont want a ton of coral since I will be moving within the next year and the more living things I have to move the harder it will be. After the move I will get a nice T5 fixture and place some LED strips in it somehow. Here is one I am looking at. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E...&sr=8-28&keywords=saltwater+aquarium+lighting

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply did a good review of the Amazon lights which I felt was fairly non biased.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...lack-box-led-lights-are-they-worth-the-price/

I had an Aqua Illumination over my nano and loved it. WiFi is built in too. 2 HD Primes would work well for your tank, they cover an 18" square. You could then use them with T5 when you upgrade the lights.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/t5-fluorescent-aquarium-lighting/retrofit.html

These retrofit fixtures are my plan in the future to be able to use the AI Primes once I build my canopy.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a lot of pics so you can possibly do a build thread if your interested in that. I'm following to see all the suggestions you get. I'm leaning toward the 32" SB led lights. If I want to start my lighting now instead of saving for a while to get SB lights I may go with 2 of the chinese wifi black boxes. Those are 15 to 16" long and would fit nicely over a 36" breeder. Saw them selling for $215.00 for two 165 watt lights on ebay. I bought 25 lbs of the pukani from BRS and it looks fantastic. Already drilled my breeder and picked up a overflow and return. I just finished the stand frame a few minutes ago and will be picking up the plywood and stain tomorrow for finishing. Keep us posted with your progress. If I see any deals I'll post them your way.

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a lot of pics so you can possibly do a build thread if your interested in that. I'm following to see all the suggestions you get. I'm leaning toward the 32" SB led lights. If I want to start my lighting now instead of saving for a while to get SB lights I may go with 2 of the chinese wifi black boxes. Those are 15 to 16" long and would fit nicely over a 36" breeder. Saw them selling for $215.00 for two 165 watt lights on ebay. I bought 25 lbs of the pukani from BRS and it looks fantastic. Already drilled my breeder and picked up a overflow and return. I just finished the stand frame a few minutes ago and will be picking up the plywood and stain tomorrow for finishing. Keep us posted with your progress. If I see any deals I'll post them your way.
I would love to do a build thread. The tank will not be drilled for a sump, I figure the 30-35 lbs of rock should be plenty of guarantees to handle the bio load added with the CPR large hang on back refugium with a 50-75 gallon hang on back filter. The refugium comes with a light and I would love to have that geared to run bio blocks and grow some kaeto sorry I probably spelled it wrong. Two oscellaris clowns, want a couple diamond goby once the sand has been established well enough to support them. And a red banded hawk fish. Suggestions on a stand? And thank you all for the light suggestions! Appreciate it a ton!!

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the size I have in my 7.5 gal nano. It's only 12.75" long and has only one power cord. You can find a light like that for $65.00 that's 16" long probably. Paid $70.00 for mine a few months ago. If you get the ones with two cords you can get outlet timers and have the blues come on before the whites and go off last. The ones with wifi can be set for a sunrise sunset effect. This is a pic of mine on my 7.5 gal. It would take two for a 40 breeder, that's why I was thinking about the two wifi 165 watts for $117.00.
Screenshot_20171225-182555.png
Screenshot_20171225-182653.png

OP
OP
Richard the Reefer

Richard the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the size I have in my 7.5 gal nano. It's only 12.75" long and has only one power cord. You can find a light like that for $65.00 that's 16" long probably. Paid $70.00 for mine a few months ago. If you get the ones with two cords you can get outlet timers and have the blues come on before the whites and go off last. The ones with wifi can be set for a sunrise sunset effect. This is a pic of mine on my 7.5 gal. It would take two for a 40 breeder, that's why I was thinking about the two wifi 165 watts for $117.00.
Screenshot_20171225-182555.png
Screenshot_20171225-182653.png
Do you have the Exact link for those? That looks amazing!

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby in my nano...best fish ever, lots of personality. When I get the 40 up, I'll definatly have a couple of clowns also.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can find the link. I usually just search wifi 165 watt wifi led on ebay. I have seen singles as low as $105.00 per light. Might have been called popular grow or evergrow. You need to get a top to. I lost a firefish so I made a mesh top.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back