Lighting for Frag Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter NorCal55
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

NorCal55

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
7
Location
Fair Oaks, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I need some recommendations for lighting options on a 50g zoomed lowboy that a friend gave to me. I intend to use it as a Frag grow out tank. I have not had a Reef tank in over 10 years and a lot has changed. Budget friendly would be great for now. Thanks for any advice.
 
Hello! I need some recommendations for lighting options on a 50g zoomed lowboy that a friend gave to me. I intend to use it as a Frag grow out tank. I have not had a Reef tank in over 10 years and a lot has changed. Budget friendly would be great for now. Thanks for any advice.
I would get a used 4 bulb T5 Fixture something like a Sunpower and add 2 Reef brites that would be plenty liht t grow anything.
 
Hello! I need some recommendations for lighting options on a 50g zoomed lowboy that a friend gave to me. I intend to use it as a Frag grow out tank. I have not had a Reef tank in over 10 years and a lot has changed. Budget friendly would be great for now. Thanks for any advice.
Soo tanks 48 x 24 x 10"?
Anyways I'm just posting this as an example of a cheap led way..
Never heard of the site and the "black box" design is quite interesting with 4 chips/reflector.
Note that even list the actual wattage (100w)
So roughly 50w blue, 50w "white".

Not as narrow or focused as the typical black box led.
Cons:
Can only tune between blue and "white".
Manual dimming.
Narrow "blue band"

Most leds, even stick lights can generally cover a 10" deep tank.

As a frag tank looks probably aren't a concern.


Point of this is that you need to narrow down your needs/wants.
Like hanging vs tank mounts
General wide coverage i.e t5.
Cost. Generally your range is $300 ($200 if you do hort brand t5ho fixtures and quality bulbs) to $1500-ish :eek:
Nicrews would currently bump you to $400
https://www.nicrew.com/hyperreef-gen-2/Do you want built in auto on/off, sunset channel programming.
"night" mode.

Obviously if you just want to "farm" your choices are a bit easier and cheaper.. sometimes..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new