Lighting for mixed tank

drscottf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I know this has been asked a million times, a million different ways. I have a tank 48 x 18 x 24. I want to eventually get some coral going in it. In my previous tank I had an older version of the current orbits and was planning on getting the pro IC lights. I like how the loop system incorporates the wave pumps and is easy to control. I have read the the power at larger depths are inadequate for coral. Are they really that bad? Are there better recommendations. I like the sunrise/sunset options etc. budget about 500.00

Thank you in advance

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you not dead set on LEDs might I suggest a 36” T5 setup like an ATI. In your price range and at a later date you can add ReefBrite strips down the road.

OP
OP
D

drscottf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I am honestly quite overwhelmed with all the options. I just don't want to regret a purchase. I was also looking at the Kessil A360WE (2 of them)

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you may want to add more or go LED you can always look at a hybrid T5 fixture that gives you the option to mount LEDs with it. I ended up going with the Red Sea ReefLED 50s for my rank because I wanted the cleaner look. They’re plenty for my tank which is 36x18x24

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t waste your money on current lights . Not strong enough
I would look into the hydra 26’s . They are a little cheaper now since they come out with new lineup .
I had 2 165 watt viper spectras leds on my other tank that was heavily mixed coral that is same size tank as yours . 90 gallon
They grew acros to zoas . Great light for the price ..

OP
OP
D

drscottf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the hydra 26’s . They are a little cheaper now since they come out with new lineup .
I had 2 165 watt viper spectras leds on my other tank that was heavily mixed coral that is same size tank as yours . 90 gallon

Thank you. I am definitely leaning towards the LEDs. I think I just like them better. I am also realizing that I will not beable to get anything decent in my current price range. the hydra 26's are on sale for about 300. the newer 32 is listed at about 360. May be worthwhile to splurge and just get the newer ones. Not sure. I think I have it narrowed down to the Kessil and hydras (probably the 32 unless I can find a great deal on 26)

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome .
You won’t go wrong with hydras

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where can you find the hydra 26s now? I have been looking...

OP
OP
D

drscottf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheapest I have found. Not too much cheaper than msrp. In my opinion might as well get the 32

The 32 are not wifi and are having fan issues.

Thanks for the link, those are the cheapest I have seen too.

OP
OP
D

drscottf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32 are not wifi and are having fan issues.

Thanks for the link, those are the cheapest I have seen too.

They are bluetooth only. Do you think that is a big deal? I have read about some having fan issues. But in believe there was a firmware update and it was resolved.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have one with fan issues? im looking to pick one up tomorrow. can you tell me more about this?

I do not have one no, but as scott said a firmware update fixed the problem, still not something I want to mess with when the 26 have a proven track record.

They are bluetooth only. Do you think that is a big deal? I have read about some having fan issues. But in believe there was a firmware update and it was resolved.

Bluetooth vs wifi depends on your specific use. Wifi can be controlled away from home if necessary but wifi can also go down where bluetooth cannot.

I should have state initially also that the 32 are not able to communicate with the 26 which does not work for me.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have one no, but as scott said a firmware update fixed the problem, still not something I want to mess with when the 26 have a proven track record.

Bluetooth vs wifi depends on your specific use. Wifi can be controlled away from home if necessary but wifi can also go down where bluetooth cannot.

I should have state initially also that the 32 are not able to communicate with the 26 which does not work for me.

yes except my lfs are still charging same price for the 26s!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes except my lfs are still charging same price for the 26s!

Yes I cant believe how pricey they still are. I grabbed three from BRS during BF when the 32s came out for 240 or so. Should have gotten a few more...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back