Lighting for Ricordea Yuma

Rupture Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I've had this ricordea for about a month, and it started on the bottom of my tank, but it seemed to be reaching upward so I assumed it wanted more light (contrary to the low lighting needs I heard they had). However, now it just looks really different. I'm not sure if it just got comfortable, or if it does not like the light. Any opinions on this?

15811730596945063619257997713253.jpg

thaistalyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea's do like medium to high light and medium flow. I can't really tell from the photo what the flow is like in that area. From my experience I have my ricordea in about 100-150 par range and in indirect flow. I can see the polyp wave just a little from flow. My ricordea has naturally split (actually dropped babies) 3 times in about 6 months.

I'd also try and direct feed it some reef roids or brine shrimp and see how he looks after a direct feeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Moderate light and water flow and feed lightly 1-2X per week

OP
OP
Rupture Reefer

Rupture Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea's do like medium to high light and medium flow. I can't really tell from the photo what the flow is like in that area. From my experience I have my ricordea in about 100-150 par range and in indirect flow. I can see the polyp wave just a little from flow. My ricordea has naturally split (actually dropped babies) 3 times in about 6 months.

I'd also try and direct feed it some reef roids or brine shrimp and see how he looks after a direct feeding.
Thanks for the reply! I'll try feeding it

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always seem to like that 9 the best , and from my experience if its not a shy yuma , it will soak up and puff up more and more with more light , mine move up the rock wall to get more. It really starts to bring out the colors also. Yumas are tricky because of the lighting , some are super sensitive but once showing signs of being ok with your setup will thrive , they tend to just melt if your parameters are off so I have no doubt your system is good. I have gone up to as much as 250 -300 par I estimate on them but over years of aquaculture. I would shoot for like 100-150 and closer to 15k-18k main photoperiod for best colors , thats a juvi hes gonna take some time to grow they are very long living creatures and keep developing over time.

OP
OP
Rupture Reefer

Rupture Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always seem to like that 9 the best , and from my experience if its not a shy yuma , it will soak up and puff up more and more with more light , mine move up the rock wall to get more. It really starts to bring out the colors also. Yumas are tricky because of the lighting , some are super sensitive but once showing signs of being ok with your setup will thrive , they tend to just melt if your parameters are off so I have no doubt your system is good. I have gone up to as much as 250 -300 par I estimate on them but over years of aquaculture. I would shoot for like 100-150 and closer to 15k-18k main photoperiod for best colors , thats a juvi hes gonna take some time to grow they are very long living creatures and keep developing over time.
Thank you for your reply, it was very informative and helpful!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back