Lighting HELP (bad ballast?)

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my landlord came over today to drop off some stuff and I asked her if she wanted to see the tank. She came in and I went downstairs to turn on the lights and only one was on.

Then after she left I went downstairs and made sure the controller was in the right state, and that the ballast was on. The ballast makes the normal humming noise for each bulb, but I am getting no light.

The bulbs are about 2 months old, but I tried another anyways, and nothing. The ballast is still humming, but nothing is coming out.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running pendants or??? If you have 2 different ballasts try swapping the light cords from one ballast to the other. Then you can elimanate if its the pendant or not.

I too have this same problem. However, When I switch the cords to different ballasts the other bulb will come on later. Makes me believe its either the capacitor or the ignitor in my case.

Hope to help.

Eric

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should clearify, this is a PFO dual 400w ballast. I am running 2 pendants, lumenmax reflectors with radium 20k bulbs (2 months old). The wiring is hardwired strait into the ballast, and connections couldn't have come apart....and therefor I cant really switch cords.

But it's weird to me that one fired, and not the other, then neither fired. The reflectors are brand new, and brand new sockets, I really dont know if that is the problem. The ballast was used so I am pointing toward that.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hardwired the whole way, no plugs all the way from the socket to the internals of the ballast. I opened the ballast just to look, and everything looked fine. Put it back together and now the other bulb is firing, and the one that was firing before, is no longer firing...this has to by symptoms for something...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you lettting the ballast cool down before having the bulbs refire? There is a safety feature in ballasts that let things cool down before it will refire the bulb. Could be that. Also Is this SE or DE bulbs? If DE Make sure the bulbs are seated correctly and tight.

Eric

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i am letting it cool. last time i think it was about half an hour between firings. these are SE bulbs, i dont think radium makes a 400w bulb, i dont even know if 400w DE bulbs exist.

OP
OP
downhill_biker

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
figured out the problem. it was the controller. the first plug is wacked out and not working properly. when i opened the ballast i unplugged them, and when i plugged them back in i guess i switched plugs. that is why the one firing changed. i guess i will be contacting neptune to see why this dc8 is shorting out.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back