Lighting HELP!

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Tried a few other threads and didn't get much so will try here in the lighting section :) I have ordered a IM Fusion 30L and am struggling to make a decision on lighting.

I have done a TON of research but that seems to have left me somewhat confused. I have determined there is a lot of personal preference in the LED/T5 discussion and am open to both at the moment.

Here are the requirements for what i am looking for;
- Needs to be tank mounted (cannot hang from ceiling)
- Tank is for both corals and fish. For corals, i will mainly have LPS but may want to dabble in SPS if the lighting can support it. Fish will be only 3-4 small fish as it is only 30g
- Budget; aiming to stay under $600

I have been considering the following;
T5's:
ATI Sunpower (Unfortunately, looks like i would have to hang them which is not an option)
Coralife Aqualight HO (had a Coralife light on my first reef tank and worked well but i don't read great reviews about them recently)
Pro's; strong lighting for corals and meets budget. Seems the ATI bulbs look great as well
Con's: noise of fans, don't have that "sleek" look of LED's, cost of bulbs (not too worried about this one), the one i want (ATI Sunpower) seems to only have a hanging fixture option?

LED's:
Current USA Orbit Marine PRO LED (seems to be a good fit given my tank is shallow at <12")
Fluval Marine Performance LED (not sure if a good choice but LFS has in stock)
Aquamaxx Nemo LED
*Many of the LED options available do not fit my needs in terms of profile on the tank. This is going in a room that is not just a fish tank room and i can't have an LED high above the tank that turns the room into a night club (bosses orders).

Any advice here is appreciated.

Thx,
Dylan

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BC-reefer

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! what is the "scratch and dent"? i took a look on the forum but couldn't find it...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our priorities strait.

Uh oh the wife!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frame this decision as such: do you want to tinker & play or do you just want to plug something in and have it work?

Most of the rest of the decision is a wash, IMO. I would factor ROI on a panel at five years - while some might bristle at this, ask them how old their current panels are and see if anybody is even close to this.

OP
OP
BC-reefer

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frame this decision as such: do you want to tinker & play or do you just want to plug something in and have it work?

Most of the rest of the decision is a wash, IMO. I would factor ROI on a panel at five years - while some might bristle at this, ask them how old their current panels are and see if anybody is even close to this.

Thanks. I'm guessing the tinker and play is for LED's?

I'm also wondering why i don't see many combo's out there of say a 2/4 bulb T5 unit and then a LED strip as well...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm guessing the tinker and play is for LED's?

I'm also wondering why i don't see many combo's out there of say a 2/4 bulb T5 unit and then a LED strip as well...
It Hasn't cought on until his year. A fairly new trend. You'll see a lot more knockoffs soon would be my bet.

And if you get a par meter or lux meter setting the leds aren't to tough.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two kessil a 360s. 1 sbreeflight ultra
1 reefbreedees photon. 1 maxspect ethereal. 300w mars aqua wifi. Sbreeflight 32 wifi. 1 used kessil ap700. 2 ai prime HD.

Ati hybred or other non tank mounted lights with this or similar.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9LU9M...t=&hvlocphy=9061183&hvtargid=pla-351863118393

(For ati look at the scratch and dent here on R2r)
Two a360 won't be too much ? I was thinking just two 160, or even a80 , given there is not much depth, and this ain't gonna be a sps heavy tank....

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two a360 won't be too much ? I was thinking just two 160, or even a80 , given there is not much depth, and this ain't gonna be a sps heavy tank....
It was a split decision really. A 160 could be too little a 360 could be too much.

Four 160s would also be awesome too. Coverage and shading.

But it's all about the budget imo.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a split decision really. A 160 could be too little a 360 could be too much.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree, the pendant style makes it hard for long aquariums, theres no smaller version of ap700.
Another option, worth considering will be a nano box due or two nano box tide

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, the pendant style makes it hard for long aquariums, theres no smaller version of ap700.
Another option, worth considering will be a nano box due or two nano box tide
Yup. Another very good option. They sell a t5 kit with that as well.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the AI Prime? You may eventually have some shading issues, but that is a possibility with most LEDs. I am running two Hydra 26s on my 75 gallon and they did a pretty good job, though I eventually added a T5 retrofit for more even coverage. Also, you could always DIY a hanging option (the Primes do have a gooseneck option though). I used 1/4" conduit, painted black, and it doesn't look too shabby!

OP
OP
BC-reefer

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys!! Much appreciated.

The dilemma i have is this tank is going in our living room and i can’t have a bright LED spilling out around the room. Even some of the pendant options still sit fairly high above the aquarium.
From a pure visual perspective the best fit is the current marine orbit pro but i read mixed reviews on success with corals. The pro has twice the power that the regular does but still is considered underpowered. But maybe ok for a shallow tank?
I am going to cruise a few LFS today that have the AI’s and a360’s setup and see what they look like over the tank.....

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The dilemma i have is this tank is going in our living room and i can’t have a bright LED spilling out around the room. Even some of the pendant options still sit fairly high above the aquarium.
From a pure visual perspective the best fit is the current marine orbit pro but i read mixed reviews on success with corals. The pro has twice the power that the regular does but still is considered underpowered. But maybe ok for a shallow tank?
I am going to cruise a few LFS today that have the AI’s and a360’s setup and see what they look like over the tank.....
From what I've seen and heard, if you're not going to have an SPS heavy tank (and are smart about the ones you do get) you should be fine with the Orbit Pro.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Build a diy canopy the king of diy has an instructional on YouTube and it keeps most of the light inside the tank. I'm actually in the planning stages of making one myself.

OP
OP
BC-reefer

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a diy canopy the king of diy has an instructional on YouTube and it keeps most of the light inside the tank. I'm actually in the planning stages of making one myself.

Awesome, i will find it and take a look

OP
OP
BC-reefer

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the AI Prime? You may eventually have some shading issues, but that is a possibility with most LEDs. I am running two Hydra 26s on my 75 gallon and they did a pretty good job, though I eventually added a T5 retrofit for more even coverage. Also, you could always DIY a hanging option (the Primes do have a gooseneck option though). I used 1/4" conduit, painted black, and it doesn't look too shabby!

That sounds slick. Any pics showing the setup? Very interested in how a hybrid could work

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back