Lighting help!

NanoSquad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ordered my very first tank today! I went with the Innovative Marine Fusion Lagoon 25! Now I am stuck on which type of light i want to get and need some advice. The dimensions of the tank are 24"L by 20"W by 12"H. I was debating between the AI Prime, the AI Hydra 26, or the Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydra will give you better coverage , spread and more power than you'll need.

I don't think you'd be happy at all with a single puck on that tank.

If the have extra wide lenses for sale for the hydra get them. Myself I'd try to put two lights on it.
Honestly if it's your first tank and toe or doing advanced coral 3 kessil 160 would be pretty cool. It's a shallow tank and all the lights you listed are more power and intensity than you need. Id so with better spread. And multiple lights will naturally give you more power.

Probably look stinkin cool too.

OP
OP
NanoSquad

NanoSquad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really only plan on having soft corals and maybe LPS in the future. So 3 kessils might be a bit much. If you recommend two fixtures, do you think two AI primes would have better coverage than the hydra for such a small tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really only plan on having soft corals and maybe LPS in the future. So 3 kessils might be a bit much. If you recommend two fixtures, do you think two AI primes would have better coverage than the hydra for such a small tank?
A kessil isn't a kessil isn't a Keesil

360 is a lot more power than a 160.
Just like a prime is less power than a Hydra.

Ie , one big light bulb or several small ones. It the exact same brightness in the bathroom.

My suggestion was , I'd add up more. Of the small lights rather than one of the big ones.

The hydra may not have a great spread for full coverage. Thus the look at wider lenses.

OP
OP
NanoSquad

NanoSquad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kessil isn't a kessil isn't a Keesil

360 is a lot more power than a 160.
Just like a prime is less power than a Hydra.

Ie , one big light bulb or several small ones. It the exact same brightness in the bathroom.

My suggestion was , I'd add up more. Of the small lights rather than one of the big ones.

The hydra may not have a great spread for full coverage. Thus the look at wider lenses.
So basically avoiding the big fixtures that will light all the area but have a zone that receives stronger light? Compared to the concept of having more small ones to get a more balanced light level throughout?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically avoiding the big fixtures that will light all the area but have a zone that receives stronger light? Compared to the concept of having more small ones to get a more balanced light level throughout?
Yes basically. The hydra right out of the box at about 12in or so I don't think will light the tank evenly. Def look at the aI site. And that's kinda of too if you want low light corals on edges.

But to me it seems like (if the $$) works out that several smaller ones would work better and be def be a more even light though the tank.

I do have to warn you. I'm a coverage freak. I like as nice and even a distribution of light as I can manage. I could have done my 48w tank with 2 16in lights. I went with 3.

So it's opinion and taste. You could do this tank with one aI prime or one kessil 360. Many do.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back