Lighting KILLS. Do you think this Coral will make it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LBA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LBA

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2010
Messages
246
Reaction score
51
Location
Sarasota, Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I learned a hard lesson in lighting this week.

Recently swapped out my 6 bulb aquatic life T5 fixture for a 6 bulb ATI Sunpower.

I had no idea the PAR difference would be so drastic.

My corals started bleaching, fast. Lost a few.

Bought a PAR meter. Went from 250 top PAR to 600+ Top PAR.

The spot this piece sits went from 75 PAR to 250 PAR.

I removed the new fixture, for now.

Do you think this can recover granted everything else is stable? or toss it?

candy-canes.jpg
 
It looks promising. Most of the flesh looks to be still there, just septa showing through. I've had a similarly sized trumpet recover from about the same conditions.
 
It looks promising. Most of the flesh looks to be still there, just septa showing through. I've had a similarly sized trumpet recover from about the same conditions.
Thank you for the encouragement. Any idea if I should try and feed it, or leave it alone? I am dosing amino acids to try and help. My water chemistry is mature and stable, so hoping for the best.
 
Thank you for the encouragement. Any idea if I should try and feed it, or leave it alone? I am dosing amino acids to try and help. My water chemistry is mature and stable, so hoping for the best.
I'd just keep doing what you've been normally doing since that's what they're used to.. Maybe you can have the new light ramp up over time say the course of a few weeks? Maybe months? Don't know if that light has is app controlled or what not.. But I wouldn't go too par crazy lol
 
If you were feeding before you can continue, but be careful not to increase feeding too much. It may increase nutrient load in tank and cause other issues
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new