Lighting options for my Reefer 300XL?

SaltyDadDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So me and the wife bought a Reefer 300XL to replace the 90 gal we currently have set up. The Reefer is nearing the end of the cycle and we are starting to gather all the remaining items we need to get this thing finished.

A little info into the tank we have now:
- It is a 90 gal with a mixed reef. We only have a handful of corals in this tank. Most of which are small frags that are growing out nicely ATM.
- currently has two Viparspectra 165W hanging over it.

On the Reefer, it has no light as of now. We want something slime and sleek that looks and matches the tanks sleekness.

I've looked at the following lights but have no clue what to get as there are so many options.
- Kessil AP9X
- Kessil A360X
- AI prime 16HD
- AI Hydra 32 HD
- REEFLED 90
- Radion XR15 Pro
- Radion XR30 Pro
and so many more.....

I would prefer one light fixture over two but it also depends on the spread I could get with it. I like SPS (don't want a ton though) and the wife likes mainly softies and LPS.

I also do not want a light that hangs from the ceiling so a mounting arm is a must.

For all you reefers with experience with different lights, what do you think would be my best option?

Price isn't a huge deal but if two lights are roughly the same, I might go with the cheaper option.

**Also, I'm not a super big fan of the straight blue look. I like a little white as well.

reefer 300.jpg 90 gal.jpg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights you have listed will need 2 of each minimum.
Maybe..

OP
OP
SaltyDadDog

SaltyDadDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights you have listed will need 2 of each minimum.
Maybe..
So I looked at these.... TBH, I'm not a fan of the look they have. I have read that they are amazing lights though. I just feel light I would keep the bulky Viparsprectras before going that route (looks are a big deciding factor).

As for having two of each, I know some are definitely gonna need two. I was thinking the AP9X should only need one. I'm no expert on this though so please pass all the knowledge my way!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one in action and they are nice for sure. It would be my first choice with thoughts of supplementing some LED bars depending on sps cravings

OP
OP
SaltyDadDog

SaltyDadDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one in action and they are nice for sure. It would be my first choice with thoughts of supplementing some LED bars depending on sps cravings
thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep them in mind. I'm sure it would help if I saw them in person.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 360 tuna blue kessil and love them. 2 would do your tank nice also.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be completely white if I want them to be. I started with 2 black boxes and these are leaps and bounds better as far as looks go.

OP
OP
SaltyDadDog

SaltyDadDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be completely white if I want them to be. I started with 2 black boxes and these are leaps and bounds better as far as looks go.
oh man.... i did not know that.... this might have just made my mind up!! they are super sleek and small which will look great on the tank. @Jekyl, thank you for the info. Now time to hunt two down with goose-necks:cool:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man.... i did not know that.... this might have just made my mind up!! they are super sleek and small which will look great on the tank. @Jekyl, thank you for the info. Now time to hunt two down with goose-necks:cool:
Make sure you get the controller with them. Otherwise you'll just be stuck with the knobs and a timer.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are older so no.

Attachments

• 16156830039058913753331734687004.jpg
    16156830039058913753331734687004.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 26

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both lights are wired together and then controlled with that. I can set times/color/intensity

Back