lighting Q's

ZooYorkUnderworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I have my 15g with 150w hqi hanging over it. My reef buddie has 24g ap
with plain ol' pc's. we both use the same water( I have the ro-di unit) we split rock in a gb, both dose 2 part. My question is why do his Zoa's grow so quick under pc's and mine grow very slow under mh's? I am almost tempted to go to the t-5's just for growth/color purposes but at the same time I am baffled as to why under pc's his zoa's grow so well? I have all softies mostly zoa's what do you guys think I should do? just to add some info
bulb-20k ushio
ballast-m81
age- 3months

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get better growth from 10k med growth from 14k and little growth from 20k my self

OP
OP
Z

ZooYorkUnderworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
color temps I understand, but why would any pc lighting compare or be better then any type of mh? you would think that mh's no matter what kelvin would surpass any pc, no?

JeffReef

Got Zoa Pox?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think MH has an edge over light output when compared to PCs. But light spectrum is another story. With 20k, you're eliminating most of the red, yellow and green spectrums - all of which are vital to coral growth. Thus, a 10k PC of lower intensity MAY be a better choice for growth than that of a 20k MH.

I used (2) normal output flourescent bulbs, (1) 20w 100% actinic and (1) 20w 65k, for 14 years and grew LPS/softies. These bulbs were not bright at all. But it worked because I was able to provide a broad spectrum of lights to my corals.

Just my 2 cents. I have no scientific study to back up claims. :happy7:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back