New to R2R, but not the hobby

Saltlife33051

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, Saltlife33051 here. My name is actually Andy. New to reef to reef, but definitely not New to the hobby. Father used to own a car dealership when I was growing up, and Inside the dealership we had six 800 gallon acrylic tanks that were part of a business called Reef Scapes. I remember back to the days of egg crayton wrapped in mesh screening, and used under the sand bed to create a place for anerobic bacteria to seek refuge. This was also back on the days when you actually bought corals or rocks covered in corals. It was not days of selling a single Zoa for $50 a polyp. It was paying $50 for Fiji live rock that was covered in Zoas already. Metal Halide lights at 25000 Kelvin was also the lights of choice. Gosh the industry has changed over the years.
I currently run a Red Sea reefer 170, and a reefer 300 G2. I live in South Florida and have shopped at just about every store that's worth even considering. Yet i buy the majority of my corals from a single place online. The prices are phenomenal and the selection is even better. I do use my LFS from time to time also. Always an open book of anyone ever wants to reach out. Not a marine biologist by any means, nor am I Julian Sprung(though I do know him pretty good)so I do make mistakes of my own at time. But reefing is all about finding out what works for you and just enjoying yourself in the process. No negativity.

2024021120233326_Messages_+14132105008.jpeg 20240213_140744.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saltlife33051

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

That's a great looking tank!
Thanks,
Appreciate the kind words. Just dumped another dozen corals in it today that I bought over the weekend. Went a tad overboard to the point I had to move my wave maker to the side and actually buy another piece of rock. It's packed full, but it looks good. It's not scattered.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, Saltlife33051 here. My name is actually Andy. New to reef to reef, but definitely not New to the hobby. Father used to own a car dealership when I was growing up, and Inside the dealership we had six 800 gallon acrylic tanks that were part of a business called Reef Scapes. I remember back to the days of egg crayton wrapped in mesh screening, and used under the sand bed to create a place for anerobic bacteria to seek refuge. This was also back on the days when you actually bought corals or rocks covered in corals. It was not days of selling a single Zoa for $50 a polyp. It was paying $50 for Fiji live rock that was covered in Zoas already. Metal Halide lights at 25000 Kelvin was also the lights of choice. Gosh the industry has changed over the years.
I currently run a Red Sea reefer 170, and a reefer 300 G2. I live in South Florida and have shopped at just about every store that's worth even considering. Yet i buy the majority of my corals from a single place online. The prices are phenomenal and the selection is even better. I do use my LFS from time to time also. Always an open book of anyone ever wants to reach out. Not a marine biologist by any means, nor am I Julian Sprung(though I do know him pretty good)so I do make mistakes of my own at time. But reefing is all about finding out what works for you and just enjoying yourself in the process. No negativity.

2024021120233326_Messages_+14132105008.jpeg 20240213_140744.jpg
Welcome

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back