Lighting question (odd) - does a freshwater light instead of reef light bring out the colors more of the fish...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to keep a new FOWLR (with dry rock) for the first 2 years - and then eventually start to add corals.

My question is: does using a freshwater light instead of a reef light bring out the colors more of the fish...?

Flame Angel, Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, etc.

Looking at the light spectrum of both:

Freshwater:
freshwater_spectrum.png

Reef:
hydra32HD_spectrum_plain.png

I don't mind changing the lights after the first two years when I start to add corals - I just want to get the light initially that will bring out the colors the best for the FOWLR for the first two years.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think my light has same readings as that reef light,I would say all depend on light you buy certain colours don’t do well under heavy blues

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of us think that fish look better under more "daylight" lighting than under blues.
Yeah go over to one of those Metal Halide “tribute band” threads …
to those ole foggies blue light is blasphemy …also check out thier fantastic tanks while you are at it …
…for the record there was a time long long ago when all light above the tanks were daylight…oh the humanity :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, many fish tend to look better under warmer lights.

If you want the best of both worlds Kessil is probably the easiest way to do it. Kessil logic allows you to tune the color to whatever you want, so regardless of what it looks like, it's still providing proper spectrum for growth. That way you can have corals, or not have corals. You can literally just turn the color knob until it looks the way you like and not worry about it.

If you're sure you don't want any corals, then a cheap daylight light would work fine. You could use any light you want. If you like shimmer, a Noo-Psyche has a shimmer close to kessil in my opinion. For FOWLR it's all about aesthetics so get the light you like the look of most.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the answer is yes...
I would argue that it's more complicated than that. You didn't give us much detail, like what specific light you're looking at. Some freshwater lights are going to be bad for looking at reef fish, and some will be fine. Most LED reef lights can be adjusted to the spectrum that you like.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue that it's more complicated than that. You didn't give us much detail, like what specific light you're looking at. Some freshwater lights are going to be bad for looking at reef fish, and some will be fine. Most LED reef lights can be adjusted to the spectrum that you like.
That makes sense.

The lights that I am currently looking at are:

Aqua Illumination 32HD (Freshwater) - 3 of them
Aqua Illumination Prime (Freshwater) - 4 of them
Aqua Illumination Blade 21" (Freshwater) - 3 of them

The tank is 84" long x 27" wide x 26" high

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense.

The lights that I am currently looking at are:

Aqua Illumination 32HD (Freshwater) - 3 of them
Aqua Illumination Prime (Freshwater) - 4 of them
Aqua Illumination Blade 21" (Freshwater) - 3 of them

The tank is 84" long x 27" wide x 26" high
I would do Noo-Psyche K7 pro 3's instead. Way cheaper, better looking shimmer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 75.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.9%
Back