Lighting question.

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have two ai hydra 32’s and I’m running a mixed reef. My tank is a 36x24x24 I am wondering what level I should set my lights at. I am going to rent a par meter but until then where should I be sitting.

image.jpg

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I have two ai hydra 32’s and I’m running a mixed reef. My tank is a 36x24x24 I am wondering what level I should set my lights at. I am going to rent a par meter but until then where should I be sitting.

image.jpg
The manufacturer's reccomended height for the Hydra 32 is 8 -10" above the waterline. The picture and my old eyes make it difficult to see if there is coral in your tank. If there is, I would move them down slowly so that you don't shock anything and adjust the intensity accordingly.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturer's reccomended height for the Hydra 32 is 8 -10" above the waterline. The picture and my old eyes make it difficult to see if there is coral in your tank. If there is, I would move them down slowly so that you don't shock anything and adjust the intensity accordingly.
They are mounted exactly 14 inches above the water line. This was tested to be the most even spread of light for the hydra 32 by brs. I do have corals I have one Acan and another sps can’t remember the name and have created a collection of lps and zoas. I had them at 30% as to not burn anyone since I haven’t had a par meter. Considering everyone has said 60-75% I have moved them to 50% for tomorrow I will rent a par meter soon

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are mounted exactly 14 inches above the water line. This was tested to be the most even spread of light for the hydra 32 by brs. I do have corals I have one Acan and another sps can’t remember the name and have created a collection of lps and zoas. I had them at 30% as to not burn anyone since I haven’t had a par meter. Considering everyone has said 60-75% I have moved them to 50% for tomorrow I will rent a par meter soon
You seem to have a ton of light spillage though. Did brs have the exact same tank as yours? Other wise I would lower them. Your tank seems pretty tall and the rock is pretty down low I don’t think you will have an issue if you lower them. I keep my lights 8” above the surface for the purpose of minimizing light spillage and having the light blasting my eyes because I personally find it quite annoying

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back