Lighting questions about fish stores.

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everywhere I go. Every place seems to have blue lights on their coral all the time. Am I missing something in terms of lighting with corals. Should I also have my blue light on and not do regular lighting. I have a fluval 13.5 gallon tank and I just run the regular light a few hours during the day and at night I switch over to the night time which is just basically a blue light. I am trying to see if their is something I should be doing instead.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They want the best “pop” from the corals and that’s mostly near UV and blues. Nothing wrong with that at all provided PAR (intensity) is correct for that piece.
If your corals look great, do nothing! (But enjoy)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everywhere I go. Every place seems to have blue lights on their coral all the time. Am I missing something in terms of lighting with corals. Should I also have my blue light on and not do regular lighting. I have a fluval 13.5 gallon tank and I just run the regular light a few hours during the day and at night I switch over to the night time which is just basically a blue light. I am trying to see if their is something I should be doing instead.

The LFSs are just trying to show off as much coral fluorescence as possible since that is what sells these days. A good LFS will accommodate you if you ask them to show the coral under 'full spectrum' lighting.

Back