Lighting questions.... Please help

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have two kessil 160s and was wanting to add a light of a different brand and style, what should I know when adding another light to already existing lights????

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is probably start slow. Depending on what the new light is, either run it at its lowest setting or for only an hour a day to start. This give any coral you have time to adjust. Also worth noting is to not be surprised to see some algae or some form of ugly to pop up.

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is probably start slow. Depending on what the new light is, either run it at its lowest setting or for only an hour a day to start. This give any coral you have time to adjust. Also worth noting is to not be surprised to see some algae or some form of ugly to pop up.

This is good info, If you can't turn down the new light (say it is a t5) turn down your kessils instead and run the new light for a little longer. Renting a PAR meter will really help with this whole thing

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good info, If you can't turn down the new light (say it is a t5) turn down your kessils instead and run the new light for a little longer. Renting a PAR meter will really help with this whole thing

You can. What you’re looking for is bleaching of the coral or unruly algae. Youre changing the frequency and intensity so both are possible. If you’re paying attention you will be fine. Just don’t set and forget.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back