Lighting recommendations for a 30 tank

seth16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank currently with a 19 watt light, im aware that I'll need a stronger light, how many watts and what type of lights should I get in order to have moderate lightning.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dimensions are the tank?
Have you looked at pics of other tanks? just to get a feel of how a kessil, or Black box(sbreeflight), or a Maxspect razor styles would look?
And the big question, budget....:eek:

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I have a 30g tank and if I had the budget id go with a maxspect razor as I've seen it in use and I love the colors it brings out in corals. A good example is my stripped candy cane, under my lighting its brown and green with tan lines but under a maxspect its purple neon green with glowing white lines. I will say I'm using a super cheap strip light for the time being but soon I'll be upgrading to a black box.

this is the light I'm going to be getting :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UMXAR5S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BSXM5KIS5MZE

OP
OP
seth16

seth16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently not home atm but I do know that the tank is ~30 inches long and is a little taller than a typical 30 gallon, and yes lol I'd like to keep it around 100$ give or take a few dollars I have some pictures of it in its early stages if that will help any.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I have a 30g tank and if I had the budget id go with a maxspect razor as I've seen it in use and I love the colors it brings out in corals. A good example is my stripped candy cane, under my lighting its brown and green with tan lines but under a maxspect its purple neon green with glowing white lines. I will say I'm using a super cheap strip light for the time being but soon I'll be upgrading to a black box.

this is the light I'm going to be getting :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UMXAR5S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BSXM5KIS5MZE
Hmmm. o_O Consider joining the culs of SB.:cool:

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently not home atm but I do know that the tank is ~30 inches long and is a little taller than a typical 30 gallon, and yes lol I'd like to keep it around 100$ give or take a few dollars I have some pictures of it in its early stages if that will help any.

then yeah a black box is more of your price change check out the one I posted above it is for a 24x24 but has a max spread of 30x24 I believe :) its $140 but I've seen it for $120 before

Hmmm. o_O Consider joining the culs of SB.:cool:

culs of SB? what's that haha

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
culs of SB? what's that haha
Its me not finishing my coffee:confused:.

The CULT of SB.

were I to buy a no frills 30 or 32 in or a BB in general Id go SBreeflight. not much more, a warranty, Mike the owner is here on R2r, and the results are pretty amazing.

OP
OP
seth16

seth16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's is for the advice, I'd like to keep ricordeas, leather corals, zoa's, and possibly acros

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dual T5 might work depending on what you are keeping.

only problem I find with T5s are the heat and price of bulbs to keep a good color.... my room is about 80 degrees at all times and if I used T5s I'd need a fridge hooked up to my tank haha

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's is for the advice, I'd like to keep ricordeas, leather corals, zoa's, and possibly acros

yeah a black box is all youll need... I have an entire list of corals in my tank and I'm using a $30 light with a timer I got from walmart haha

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back