Lighting, start out good vs upgrade later?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 65g 36x18x24 with 25 sump.. planning on starting slow but plan on corals. Was looking at the kessil a360x or a ap9x, but maybe it’s easier to start out lower level for a year? Totally new, what’s your thoughts? Planning starting soft, would go to the branching corals if I knew they’d be successful down the line.

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new myself, but when I set mine up, my thought was to go ahead and get the lighting I thought I'd want in the end. I've read plenty enough about coral acclimating to certain lighting and then having problems when lighting changes to quickly on them. Basically, I didn't like the idea of spending all that time acclimating coral to lighting that I intended on changing.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new myself, but when I set mine up, my thought was to go ahead and get the lighting I thought I'd want in the end. I've read plenty enough about coral acclimating to certain lighting and then having problems when lighting changes to quickly on them. Basically, I didn't like the idea of spending all that time acclimating coral to lighting that I intended on changing.
I haven’t even gotten into reading that, I feel like each piece of gear I’m learning a new master class. Only to find out some equipment overlap

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN REEFING? (TELL US YOUR BIGGEST MILESTONE IN THE COMMENTS!)

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • 1 year

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • 2-4 years

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • 4-6 years

• 7-10 years

Votes: 14 7.2%
  • 10-15 years

• 15-20 years

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • Over 20 years

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • Over 30 years

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Umm....Yeah, it's been a super long time. No comment.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back