Lighting Suggestions for 75 Gallon - First Aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter dolphin160
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dolphin160

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Manteca, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Just recently setup and am currently cycling my first aquarium. It is a 75 gallon tank 48" x 18 x 21, I have started to look into options for lighting. My goal is to eventually grow soft corals and LPS's, I don't have too much of an interest in SPS's at the moment, but might eventually.

I currently just have a Fluval Freshwater light that came with the tank, and I really just don't have a great idea what lights and quantity I should be looking for to achieve my goals. I have seen a lot of people suggest AI Hydra/Primes, Kessil Lights or even Radions. But all are pretty pricey brand new especially if I will need several.

I did find someone locally selling (3) AI Hydra 26's for around $275. They do look used but not sure if this would be a good budget option to start on?

The only other option I can think of is trying the Nicrew lights off Amazon.

Would greatly appreciate anyone's input/suggestions on what wattage or starter lights to look out for or what general type of setup I should work on.

Thank you in advance for any help!
 
Hi Everyone,

Just recently setup and am currently cycling my first aquarium. It is a 75 gallon tank 48" x 18 x 21, I have started to look into options for lighting. My goal is to eventually grow soft corals and LPS's, I don't have too much of an interest in SPS's at the moment, but might eventually.

I currently just have a Fluval Freshwater light that came with the tank, and I really just don't have a great idea what lights and quantity I should be looking for to achieve my goals. I have seen a lot of people suggest AI Hydra/Primes, Kessil Lights or even Radions. But all are pretty pricey brand new especially if I will need several.

I did find someone locally selling (3) AI Hydra 26's for around $275. They do look used but not sure if this would be a good budget option to start on?

The only other option I can think of is trying the Nicrew lights off Amazon.

Would greatly appreciate anyone's input/suggestions on what wattage or starter lights to look out for or what general type of setup I should work on.

Thank you in advance for any help!
You can go with led or t5ho. Theres many different ways to go. Let's go this way do you eant a plug and forget. Or do you want all the controllability.

I have almost an identical tank and I run t5ho. I can grow just about anything.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 19.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new