Lighting temp swing

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for everyone, this is my first salt tank so still learning. I just got my light fixture setup for my 70gal display and im getting temp swings from the added heat. Fixture is a 6 bulb t5ho SunBlaze purchased on craigslist as a "grow" light that I modified to run as a 2 bulb and 4 bulb by adding a power cord and powering each ballast separate, then moving tombstones so the 2 bulb ballast lights bulbs on each side. Currently each ballast is on a different timer, first ballast are 2 antic plus and on 7am to 10pm. Second is 2 coral plus, 1 true blue and a 10k daylight on 10am to 7pm. My heater controller is set to 78f and was stable +/- 1f before lights now during the day im reaching 82-83. Fixture is currently sitting above tank 2in. Need to build the hood to correctly mount the fixture, will raising to 6-8in above tank help temps? Should I build fans into the hood to help temp? Is the temp swing that big of a deal?
Thanks

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s do run a bit warm. I would raise it a bit and see if it helps. It may not be an issue in winter but summer is another story. I ran a grow light when I first started and had major issues with it. The tombstones were not sealed at all and the fixture allowed a lot of moisture to penetrate. It kept shorting out and frying ballasts. I would come home and the whole reef would be off 'cause a breaker would trip. Ended up switching to a MarsAqua 300 watt LED fixture and it works great for the price. I would def. make sure it is fully grounded!
Cheers! Mark

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first salt water aquarium!
That is a dramatic temperature swing in a short period of time. I would definitely incorporate fans to aid in the cooling of your water through the water surface interface. This will also help to minimize stress on your living animals.
Good luck...

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 2 inches is way to close IMO.
Heat, saltwater spash, and could be way to much par that close.
I would recomend 6 inches minimum 10 to 12 would be best.
But I am still new to reefing, so my opinion is suspect LoL

OP
OP
Nobody077

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I attached a pic of how I currently have it just lifted off top with some wood strips i had to test light and timers. That's 2 and all 6 lights on. Will build my hood so light is 8-12in off top and include a few pc cooling fans. I did just remove the covers I had over half of my sump that i built to lower evaporation loss to help cooling for now, will see if it helps.

20200219_205308_HDR.jpg 20200219_205841_HDR.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just run minimal lighting untill you get the hood compleated.
In nature not everyday is bright and shiny.
This will keep the heat down and the lids can stay on the sump to reduce evaporation and potential larger salinity swings along with the tank getting to warm.
IMO your potentially creating another problem with salinity to avoid heating up the tank.

Or can you just stack something on the tank temporarily to raise the lights?
Might not look the best but at least it will replicate the end result and the tank can get to its intended state.

OP
OP
Nobody077

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just run minimal lighting untill you get the hood compleated.
In nature not everyday is bright and shiny.
This will keep the heat down and the lids can stay on the sump to reduce evaporation and potential larger salinity swings along with the tank getting to warm.
IMO your potentially creating another problem with salinity to avoid heating up the tank.

Or can you just stack something on the tank temporarily to raise the lights?
Might not look the best but at least it will replicate the end result and the tank can get to its intended state.
Thanks Kevin, by the way do you do much 2m ssb? Your call sounds familiar. Sorry i look calls up on Qrz when I see one, long time ago I helped with the wswss weekly 2m net and we had a few regular Reno check ins . Steve KG6SOF

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kevin, by the way do you do much 2m ssb? Your call sounds familiar. Sorry i look calls up on Qrz when I see one, long time ago I helped with the wswss weekly 2m net and we had a few regular Reno check ins . Steve KG6SOF

Hey cool I dont mind the lookup.
Its been a while since I havd had time to work the radios.
I do not own a 2M ssb rig so I was not on that net.
I moved some three years back to a new home and to date I have not gotten the time to install the tower. The SteppIr is in need of some parts as well. So it will be a bit longer. :confused:

OP
OP
Nobody077

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey cool I dont mind the lookup.
Its been a while since I havd had time to work the radios.
I do not own a 2M ssb rig so I was not on that net.
I moved some three years back to a new home and to date I have not gotten the time to install the tower. The SteppIr is in need of some parts as well. So it will be a bit longer. :confused:
Kinda same deal here, mostly inactive for number of years, moved and hoa wont allow the tower and beams,only have a 6-2-440 vertical base at roof line, had to use the homeland security act to convince the Hoa to allow. Now only use licence when offroading if other trucks have 2m rigs

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back