Lighting Upgrade Question

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other comment, if you decide to use lenses, make sure you can easily replace them as the 400nm LEDs will cause 'fogging' (yellowing) of them after a while.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, windex look...

That's a good place to start, grab a couple extras so you can swap some around in case you want to play with the look... But yeah, that should make the corals pop and not be totally blue (might be a bit purple though)...

As for lenses, I wouldn't use lenses. Usually lenses restrict the spread down to 90 or 45 degress, while most LEDs naturally have a 120-140 degree spread. But if you are getting a lot of spillage out the sides, it may be a good idea to add lenses.
Okay, so no lenses. My question is how do I make the fixture waterproof?

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you pick a chassis with a plastic cover...
What kind of plastic cover should I be looking for so it doesn't obstruct the LEDs and/or reduce the amount of light that goes in the tank?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most plastics have a cutoff at about 400nm, so UV transmission suffers (this is the reason plastics yellow and eventually become brittle when exposed to UV.) Low iron glass is a better option for UV.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most plastics have a cutoff at about 400nm, so UV transmission suffers (this is the reason plastics yellow and eventually become brittle when exposed to UV.) Low iron glass is a better option for UV.
Okay, thanks! Any other suggestions before I go shopping for LEDs and stuff?

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, uh... It would seem that my local led shop doesn't have any 395-400nm LEDs in stock, the closest ones are 385nm and 420nm. There are some available online but I don't think I can get those in time. What should I do?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, uh... It would seem that my local led shop doesn't have any 395-400nm LEDs in stock, the closest ones are 385nm and 420nm. There are some available online but I don't think I can get those in time. What should I do?

Unless Dana thinks 385nm is usefull, I would order them online; I base most of my LED fixture building off his publications and as far as I can tell lower than 395 is ideal. That said, you could probably get the store to get them in, build your fixture with 420s and 450s and just swap a couple out when they become in stock again...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
385nm is OK, it's close to the 365nm mercury line spectrum seen in all lamps that contain mercury (all fluorescents, metal halide, mercury vapor.) There will be some spillover into the visible range - a deliberate effort to comfort those who would think the LED has burned out if they can't see the UV output. There is good evidence that UV in this range is photosynthetically active, plus it will make *some* corals fluoresce (if they're able to do so.) I just received some custom-built LED arrays that produce narrow bandwidths and hope to do some experiments with them after I get the speaking engagements out of the way.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
385nm is OK, it's close to the 365nm mercury line spectrum seen in all lamps that contain mercury (all fluorescents, metal halide, mercury vapor.) There will be some spillover into the visible range - a deliberate effort to comfort those who would think the LED has burned out if they can't see the UV output. There is good evidence that UV in this range is photosynthetically active, plus it will make *some* corals fluoresce (if they're able to do so.) I just received some custom-built LED arrays that produce narrow bandwidths and hope to do some experiments with them after I get the speaking engagements out of the way.
So maybe I should go with 2 10.000K whites, 3 385nm UVs, 3 420nm Blues, and 8 450nm Blues to balance things out or should I go with 6 385 nm/420 nm? Which one?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the choice is between 385nm and 420nm, I personally would go for the 420nm. Most of their output can be measured with a PAR meter, absorption is outside (kind of) that of xanthophylls, and so on. Still, that's a lot of blue.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the choice is between 385nm and 420nm, I personally would go for the 420nm. Most of their output can be measured with a PAR meter, absorption is outside (kind of) that of xanthophylls, and so on. Still, that's a lot of blue.
Closest one I could find online is a 3W 390-410nm LED. Should I go with it?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused?
Absorption-spectra-of-the-most-important-higherplant-carotenoids-in-acetone-The.png

In acetone so not in real life..

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 420nm output is away from the maximum absorption of those xanthophylls found in zooxanthellae (diadinoxanthin and diatoxanthin) - more so than the output of a LED emitting a maximum at 450nm. *Most* quantum meters don't see radiation below 400nm, although I've seen one device from Europe that could measure into the UV-A range.
upload_2018-5-5_1-9-38.png

I'm confused?
Absorption-spectra-of-the-most-important-higherplant-carotenoids-in-acetone-The.png

In acetone so not in real life..

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with 10 LEDs. 2 10.000K Whites, 4 455nm Blues, and 4 400nm UVs. All three watts. I didn't put 16 on it because of overheating, heck even 10 LEDs is still very hot. I'm planning to put a few fans in there to keep temp controlled. Whaddya think?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back