Lighting Upgrade Question

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an 8 gal tank. 40cm*25cm*28cm (Yes, I use metric). It's LPS dominated with some softies. Currently there's 2 actinic T5 bulbs in there. I'm planning to upgrade to a T5 LED system. I already have the T5's and I plan to DIY my led. There's a local seller in my town that has 3W HPL LEDs in different colors and wavelengths, not CREE tho. They has some CREE LEDs but they only sell the 5W model which is overkill. My question here is, how many LEDs should I use and which wavelengths?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CREE diodes are just a brand name, a good brand, but just a brand... And yes, 5w LEDs are overkill, unless it has a dimmer...

What spectrum are the T5s?

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this:

8pcs 1W Blues (450-455nm, 23-30lm)

2pcs 1W Reds (620nm, 20-30lm)

2pcs 1W Yellow (595nm, 40-50lm)

All EpiStar HPL LEDs

Should I add some white?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by spectrum? Wavelength?

Spectrum would be the wavelengths, plural... I assume the T5s are not a single wavelength?

So, are your T5s just blues, averaging in the 450nm wavelength?

I would only use 1 red, and 1 green, even then, that is likely too much... The white LEDs should cover enough of the red/green requirements... No yellow, stick with the high temperature whites, like 10000k+... although I use 6500k in my larger fixtures...

Also, depending on your T5 spectrum, it may have the greens and reds you need... What is the make/model of the bulb?

Lastly, consider something in the low 400nm, a sing 395nm or 400nm diode would be good....

To be frank, without knowing what the spectrum of the T5 is, it is hard to guess what you need to augment with LEDs.... For example:
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=15......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..4.0.0....0.uVNimg7mubU

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum would be the wavelengths, plural... I assume the T5s are not a single wavelength?

So, are your T5s just blues, averaging in the 450nm wavelength?

I would only use 1 red, and 1 green, even then, that is likely too much... The white LEDs should cover enough of the red/green requirements... No yellow, stick with the high temperature whites, like 10000k+... although I use 6500k in my larger fixtures...

Also, depending on your T5 spectrum, it may have the greens and reds you need... What is the make/model of the bulb?

Lastly, consider something in the low 400nm, a sing 395nm or 400nm diode would be good....

To be frank, without knowing what the spectrum of the T5 is, it is hard to guess what you need to augment with LEDs.... For example:
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=15......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..4.0.0....0.uVNimg7mubU
The T5 is kinda like ATI Aquablue Special, Normal Output.

They do have 400nm LEDs, but only 3W version.

Okay then, I'll remove yellow from the list and use 1 red led, so 8 blue 1 red 3 white?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still skip the red, unless you can get like 1/2 watt reds... 3 watt red would be way too much... Otherwise, yeah, throw in a 400nm and give it a shot!

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still skip the red, unless you can get like 1/2 watt reds... 3 watt red would be way too much... Otherwise, yeah, throw in a 400nm and give it a shot!
But the 400 nm is 3 watts! Isn't that too much?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they should all be three watts. You won't get the par out of 1 watt LEDs for corals... That said, Prime HDs nano light has a 3 watt red in it, so it might be worth a shot using a 3 watt red... I'd be worried about an increase in algae growth with all that red...

For example, I built a 54 watt LED fixture (using 3 watt LEDs) for my 1 gallon jar reef and it did very well...

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they should all be three watts. You won't get the par out of 1 watt LEDs for corals... That said, Prime HDs nano light has a 3 watt red in it, so it might be worth a shot using a 3 watt red... I'd be worried about an increase in algae growth with all that red...

For example, I built a 54 watt LED fixture (using 3 watt LEDs) for my 1 gallon jar reef and it did very well...
So, how many 3 watts LEDs should I use?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use at least 16 diodes for a tank this size. If it is too bright, or you need better spread, you can just raise it a few inches...

I doubt the brand matters, although there might be some slight differences in their default spread angles, so do some research on the specs for what you have available to you. However, pick up a spare or two of each wavelength just in case you lose a diode.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use at least 16 diodes for a tank this size. If it is too bright, or you need better spread, you can just raise it a few inches...

I doubt the brand matters, although there might be some slight differences in their default spread angles, so do some research on the specs for what you have available to you. However, pick up a spare or two of each wavelength just in case you lose a diode.
And what lens should I use? I'll probably go with 2 10.000k whites 6 400nm blues and 8 455nm blues. All three watts. Sounds good? I'll probably add a dimmer too so I can control the brightness if it's too powerful.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what lens should I use? I'll probably go with 2 10.000k whites 6 400nm blues and 8 455nm blues. All three watts. Sounds good? I'll probably add a dimmer too so I can control the brightness if it's too powerful.
Not a bad combination if you like the 'Windex' look. This spectrum should showcase any coral fluorescence.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question about fish blindness - I've only seen one case of what I suspected to be a case of blindness. Fish acquire 'sunscreens' for their eyes through consumption of matter containing mycosporine-like amino acids, which are produced by plants, algae. A diet containing plant matter might be of benefit, especially when using UV LEDs.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question about fish blindness - I've only seen one case of what I suspected to be a case of blindness. Fish acquire 'sunscreens' for their eyes through consumption of matter containing mycosporine-like amino acids, which are produced by plants, algae. A diet containing plant matter might be of benefit, especially when using UV LEDs.
Okay, thanks for the info! I didn't even know that fish can get their "sunglasses" from algae haha

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, windex look...

That's a good place to start, grab a couple extras so you can swap some around in case you want to play with the look... But yeah, that should make the corals pop and not be totally blue (might be a bit purple though)...

As for lenses, I wouldn't use lenses. Usually lenses restrict the spread down to 90 or 45 degress, while most LEDs naturally have a 120-140 degree spread. But if you are getting a lot of spillage out the sides, it may be a good idea to add lenses.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back