Lighting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mandee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mandee

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2015
Messages
253
Reaction score
116
Location
Millbrook NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon I'm starting SLOWLY to make sure I'm doing everything right .
When I purchased the tank this is the lighting system it came with. I'm wondering if it is any good? What is it?

I know LEDS is the best but I'm not ready to spend that much on them.
 

Attachments

  • 1438622154279.jpg
    1438622154279.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 128
It's an old power compact setup. It will work but there much better lights out there. I had one I could not even give it away. But it will grow corals if the bulbs are not to old.
 
Compacts with 2 HQI Halides
This would be a good fixture set high enough as to not shadow with the HQI's
These do get HOT
I ran a fixture like that but the heat combined was not conducive to my setup
 
Compacts with 2 HQI Halides
This would be a good fixture set high enough as to not shadow with the HQI's
These do get HOT
I ran a fixture like that but the heat combined was not conducive to my setup

I know I turned it on for a couple of mins and then touched it and OUCH!
 
It will work but I would replace all lamps in it unless you know how old they are.
I ran 14K HQI with actinic PC's and grew any coral I placed in.
Hope it works for you Mandee!
 
A 220g tank..
I don't think they will have enough penetration and intensity for that tank depth.
I noticed they came out with a better designed marine fixture but have not used those. Might want to look into the spectrum of the new marine fixture.
 
Sorry Mandee!
Well that is quite a large tank are you not going to use your HQI fixture?
Led lighting for that length will get a little on the spendy side.
If you went orbit I can see 4 24" fixture might cover it without shadowing mounted front to back and not lengthwise
 
From what I see on the par it would cover a lot but par drops considerably at the bottom.
What coral are you wanting to keep? Or will this be a fish only tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new