Lighting

Steph861

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just starting up 125 gallon saltwater tank. We have 4 fish and would like to do soft corals. Looking for lighting that will not break the bank. I am considering the current usa. Any others i should look into. I would like to spend around 300.

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used current USA before and would not use them again. You lose a lot of coloration and even zoas don’t do to well under them unless they are right under the light and as high up as they can be. I would get a black box for $200 and light the rest of the tank with the four foot current for $100. That way you can at least keep some corals in one side with proper lighting. What I have found though is that if you want success just go for the better equipment. For a full year I used the current USA light and everything I put in May tank did ok but never look happy. I blamed it on many different problems but in the end when I got 2 A360 everything looked great. I think that you can have a great tank with black boxes but they don’t last so might as well go with a kessil or AI light and never really worry again. But if on a tight budget just get a black box and a smaller light for fish only current USA.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back