Lightning clowns with tangs

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to stock my 75 gallon reef tank going to start with 2 clowns. Would like to know if it is safe to put 2 of the lightning maroon clowns in first or 2 onyx clowns? Plan on getting 1 yellow tang and a blue hippo tang with 1 coral beauty in the future once my tank is more established.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked this question before for a 155 gallon tank, and everyone advised against having more than 2 clowns. Clowns get territorial and very aggressive with each other. Maroons are known for being some of the most aggressive. Eventually you may end up with just one pair.

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked this question before for a 155 gallon tank, and everyone advised against having more than 2 clowns. Clowns get territorial and very aggressive with each other. Maroons are known for being some of the most aggressive. Eventually you may end up with just one pair.

Sorry I wasn’t more specific. I will only have 2 just need help on deciding rather the lightning or onyx would best be suited for the fish that will be in the tank in the future. I like the lightning clown best and have been informed that they are aggressive. Just wanted to know if they would be safe to place with the 2 tangs and coral beauty. Thanks any advice in which y’all provide.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. In that case I really like both, and those would be the two pairs I would want, with possibly a longfin. Maroons get big. I went to a breeding facility for clowns over the weekend, and was shocked how big the 10 yo maroons were. They were the only clowns kept isolated due to their aggression. I would probably recommend onyx for the long haul as being fine with most fish.

OP
OP
M

medic17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. In that case I really like both, and those would be the two pairs I would want, with possibly a longfin. Maroons get big. I went to a breeding facility for clowns over the weekend, and was shocked how big the 10 yo maroons were. They were the only clowns kept isolated due to their aggression. They are also very aggressive. I would probably recommend onyx for the long haul as being fine with most fish.

Thank you. Onyx clown it is.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chances of Maroons pairing up is tough as well unless you buy them as a mates pair. Yes they bite very hard and will take over, possibly kill everyone else.

Onxy will allow more of a community tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back