Likely vermetid snails.

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a tank a couple weeks ago. I am very new to this and doing a lot of learning and video watching. I used rocks that I picked up from an established tank. I was wondering what the curling shell looking things were on the rocks and figured it wasn't much. Thru my research, they are likely vermetid snails. Not sure how alive they are but I am pretty sure I saw a little hair/tentacle looking thing poke out and move. So my question is, should I tear down and scrap the rocks or just not sweat it and deal with the. Since there is a likely chance they would end up in my tank at some point in the future?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal Gardens just released a comprehensive video on them you should watch.

Physical removal is best - do it now before they get worse. Mechanical seems best- bone cutters or pliers for example. They are resistant to a lot. They aren't serious as pests go but their mucus does irritate stuff and can explode in population quickly since they broadcast spawn.

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal Gardens just released a comprehensive video on them you should watch.

Physical removal is best - do it now before they get worse. Mechanical seems best- bone cutters or pliers for example. They are resistant to a lot. They aren't serious as pests go but their mucus does irritate stuff and can explode in population quickly since they broadcast spawn.

I am pretty sure that is one of the videos I already watched last night. I'm just wondering since my tank is so new and there is a lot of those shell things that it may be worth just restarting. Other than rocks and sand, all I have in there are 2 clowns and 2 emerald crabs.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"curling shell looking things"
Could you post a picture?
From your description it might also be spirobid worms, which are harmless filter feeders.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your description it might also be spirobid worms, which are harmless filter feeders.
Good point. Vermetids imo look different...larger and darker (usually) with less of a spiral (usually) and a more convoluted growth form. Would be a shame to scrap all that bacterial growth for something harmless.

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a few in this picture. I hope it is visible enough.

Attachments

• 20230528_125251.jpg
    20230528_125251.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 70

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy, but those look like *dead* vermetids. The tube appears hollow. Can you see an organism at the tip? Like a little head poking out?

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy, but those look like *dead* vermetids. The tube appears hollow. Can you see an organism at the tip? Like a little head poking out?
I'm not exactly sure. I originally thought they were empty but I thought I saw a very tiny hair protrude and pop back when my crab waved it's claw in front of it. This will probably be the best picture I will be able to get.

20230528_130309.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure. I originally thought they were empty but I thought I saw a very tiny hair protrude and pop back when my crab waved it's claw in front of it. This will probably be the best picture I will be able to get.
Yeah, that one looks alive. If you have a pair of bone cutters that works well. They're good to have anyways for frag work. You don't appear to have enough to completely start over but it's your call. If it was me I'd remove what I saw but just monitor. Keep in mind there are probably some in your plumbing too so going scorched earth might be pointless now. Just my 2c. Plus with few corals you can remove the rock and inspect it closely with ease

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are for sure not spirobid worms.
Yes, they look like vermetids, play safe and exterminate them.

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that one looks alive. If you have a pair of bone cutters that works well. They're good to have anyways for frag work. You don't appear to have enough to completely start over but it's your call. If it was me I'd remove what I saw but just monitor. Keep in mind there are probably some in your plumbing too so going scorched earth might be pointless now. Just my 2c. Plus with few corals you can remove the rock and inspect it closely with ease
If it was just a couple, I wouldn't worry but I could count at least 10 separate shells from one end of the tank without moving my head. Lol.

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my next question is if I decide to scrap the rocks which is the direction I'm leaning towards. Is the sand and water safe?

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what juvenile/larvae/baby vermetid snails look like before they start creating their tube? I hope not like this. The little rice looking things but smaller than rice. Ya. I'm pretty paranoid now. Lol

Attachments

• 20230522_141817.jpg
    20230522_141817.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 61

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what juvenile/larvae/baby vermetid snails look like before they start creating their tube? I hope not like this. The little rice looking things but smaller than rice. Ya. I'm pretty paranoid now. Lol
You won't see them.

OP
OP
Ilija Z

Ilija Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a thread recently where someone was using Coral Snow (or a homemade version) to resolve these in their tank.
I will have to really look into that. I will not have any living thing in the tank that I want to keep and if I can save the sand and water, that would be a definite bonus.

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back