Lineatus wrasse sudden death-fluconazole related?

starrynight99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just started treating our tank with fluconazole (human grade) for bryopsis. We are in day 3 and everything was fine except I just came home to find our lineatus wrasse has died?

It has been in my tank for a month or so and was perfectly fine earlier on today. No spots, eating well. All other fish ok so far.

Has anyone had issues with fluconazole and fairy wrasse death? Thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never seen a fish death related to fluconazole, but I'm far from an expert. Our #fishmedics will be better able to help. I'm thinking it was probably something else related to the fish being new to the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just started treating our tank with fluconazole (human grade) for bryopsis. We are in day 3 and everything was fine except I just came home to find our lineatus wrasse has died?

It has been in my tank for a month or so and was perfectly fine earlier on today. No spots, eating well. All other fish ok so far.

Has anyone had issues with fluconazole and fairy wrasse death? Thanks

I've not heard of any sensitivities. Did you double check your dose and dose for the net volume of the tank (after rock displacement)?

Wrasse do have high oxygen requirements. Did the algae start to die by then? If so, its decomposition by bacteria uses a lot of oxygen (and the dead algae is also no longer giving off oxygen). If your tank didn't have good aeration, that could be an issue.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back