Lionfish shedding cuticle daily

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lionfish had ich or velvet. I stopped a 30 day treatment of copper 18 days ago. I haven't see any white spots in at least 30 days. And I look offen and know what to look for. His eyes are 100 percent clear. He is very active and eating anything and everything that touches the water. He is shedding his cuticle often. Happened today, Happened yesterday, and I have noticed it throughout this process at least a few times a week. Is his body still recovering, could he have a bacterial infection? Any lionfish experts out there?

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the water parameters are perfect and have been perfect. 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. .25 phosphate, 8.2 ph, 11 alk, 420 calcium. 1.025 salinity

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His diet consists of chopped up shrimp, scallops, silversides, salmon, soaked with vita Chem, and omega one marine pellets frozen together. With the occasional live ghost shrimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you are ever lucky enough to see a lionfish shed -you'll notice the lion first vibrate their fins, then blast/jet forward a few times and they trail a white vail. This mucus is their cuticle. in the wild, scorpionfish (since they are sedentary "wait-around predators) are covered by a thin membranous layer (called the cuticle)to protect themselves from organisms which settle on top of them.
Other cause would be Cuticle shedding which is also a sign of improper health in lionfish, as stressed lionfish or lionfish kept in poor water quality will increase shedding behavior. The most common disease problems I have seen are fin rot (a bacterial infection which is treated with antibiotics)
I would focus on and check water quality. Hopefully you are not relying on results from API kits.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are ever lucky enough to see a lionfish shed -you'll notice the lion first vibrate their fins, then blast/jet forward a few times and they trail a white vail. This mucus is their cuticle. in the wild, scorpionfish (since they are sedentary "wait-around predators) are covered by a thin membranous layer (called the cuticle)to protect themselves from organisms which settle on top of them.
Other cause would be Cuticle shedding which is also a sign of improper health in lionfish, as stressed lionfish or lionfish kept in poor water quality will increase shedding behavior. The most common disease problems I have seen are fin rot (a bacterial infection which is treated with antibiotics)
I would focus on and check water quality. Hopefully you are not relying on results from API kits.
Unfortunately I've been lucky enough to see it happen many times. fins are nice and clear without damage so far. My algea scrubber keeps nitrates at 0, kalk keeps my calcium and alk very stable, and my biological filter has always kept ammonia and nitrite at 0. I test all the time, haven't had any issues in the past months.

Attachments

• 20210324_161053.jpg
    20210324_161053.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a video giving him a piece of freeze dried krill(not his normal food, just easy to snap a video with) certainly not acting differently than normal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Here is a video giving him a piece of freeze dried krill(not his normal food, just easy to snap a video with) certainly not acting differently than normal.
How awesome is that !!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 93 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back