Longfin Fairy Wrasse staying at bottom of tank?

bubba005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2478.jpeg

After a week of being in my display tank, my Longfin fairy wrasse has yet to swim extensively in the open water. When I first added him, he was very lethargic and spent time either on top of my powerhead or in the sand. After the first day, he disappeared for two days and came out still looking very pale and stressed. While his color has improved significantly and he frequently emerges from his hiding spot during mealtime, he has yet to leave the sand bed for an extended period of time. Should I be concerned about his health, and is this a normal part of Fairy Wrasse acclimation?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A juvenile Ocellaris, firefish, clown goby, blue reef chromis, and bicolor blenny. The tank is 31 gallons
Have you noticed any of the fish intimidating the wrasse? My female ocellaris was a bit hostile to my dusky fairy wrasse, and he stayed to the back of the tank.

Also look out for erratic swimming behaviour since wrasses are known for a type of neurological disease (called UNWD, or unknown neurological wrasse disease). That is usually fatal.

What are you feeding? Tank looks a bit new, so the wrasse may also be somewhat stressed from lack of ins and outs and hiding places that come with lots of coral growth. Important that it is eating.

OP
OP
B

bubba005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any of the fish intimidating the wrasse? My female ocellaris was a bit hostile to my dusky fairy wrasse, and he stayed to the back of the tank.

Also look out for erratic swimming behaviour since wrasses are known for a type of neurological disease (called UNWD, or unknown neurological wrasse disease). That is usually fatal.

What are you feeding? Tank looks a bit new, so the wrasse may also be somewhat stressed from lack of ins and outs and hiding places that come with lots of coral growth. Important that it is eating.
So far, I have not noticed any territorial behavior towards the Wrasse. The clown is very young and does not seem to be female yet so is not particularly aggressive. I’ve also been looking out for UNWD but have not noticed any of the telltale symptoms thankfully. Currently, I’m feeding a mixture of pellets and mysis soaked in selcon. While the Wrasse has not shown interest in pellets, he will emerge from his crevice and eat mysis that drifts near him and in the sand around him

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I have not noticed any territorial behavior towards the Wrasse. The clown is very young and does not seem to be female yet so is not particularly aggressive. I’ve also been looking out for UNWD but have not noticed any of the telltale symptoms thankfully. Currently, I’m feeding a mixture of pellets and mysis soaked in selcon. While the Wrasse has not shown interest in pellets, he will emerge from his crevice and eat mysis that drifts near him and in the sand around him
That's good news. If you have an LFS nearby that sells Reef Nutrition products, I find ROE is really an ideal food for new fish. Gets their appetites going and helps fatten them up!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back