Lionfish with cloudy eyes

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my mombasa lionfish for about a week and a half now. This morning I noticed his eyes were cloudy and he is very lethargic. I have been feeding ghost shrimp for now until I can get him onto frozen foods. I tried feeding him this morning but he wouldn't take it. One shrimp was actually on his face and he didn't go for it. He is also leaning to the side slot. Any ideas what this could be? I've read that he is getting ready to molt??? Or that it could be a nutrient deficiency. Any thoughts or advice would help. His color still looks pretty good to me so I have no clue.

20200630_211746.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Likely ammonia burn or water quality related.
What is ammonia level? I recommend water change and use of melafix will help eyes clear. Also maracyn ot teramyacin will help clear eyes up

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember responding to you in another thread, did you initiate treatment for internal parasites? While cloudy eyes can sometimes indicate part of a shed that can sometimes be normal, to a point. Cloudy eyes is also indicative of internal parasites. I suggest immediately start treatment with general cure. Lions do not handle meds well, and I highly recommend you not to use any other med. While High ammonia could be the culprit but I hope you are maintaining proper water conditions. A quick ammonia test and water changes and filtration adjustments if needed.

Just the eyes being effected it could be water quality, so address that issue. If you are maintaining optimum water conditions and feeding well, his eyes will clear up on their own in no time. Internal parasites are almost a given with lions, so I still highly recommend general cure, after an ammonia test and any water conditions addressed, but this has to be done quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had the issue with my puffer but by the time I started to treat he passed.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Kh 180
Ph 8

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah I had the issue with my puffer but by the time I started to treat he passed.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Kh 180
Ph 8
What test kit(s) are you using ?

OP
OP
Z

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tetra test strips. My lfs said for a fish only system that should be fine.

OP
OP
Z

Zamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that just the day before I changed the filtration pad. Could that have something to do with it? I was previously using filter floss but swapped it out for a pad.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that just the day before I changed the filtration pad. Could that have something to do with it? I was previously using filter floss but swapped it out for a pad.

Don't think so. While there can be other causes, if you did not treat for internal parasites with general cure or prazipro and metroplex, you are playing with fire. While you can live dangerously and do an observation, you must pay very close attention. Once they stop eating if you do not immediately start treatment; chances will get very slim, very quickly. Cloudy eyes does show up usually within a couple of days after shipment if irritated with ammonia or rubbing on the bag, this usually clears itself within a week or so. With the indication of cloudy eyes, no way would I not immediately start general cure.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Test strips for me make good reference but may not be accurate. Take a water sample to trusted LFS and have them test for to to verify and compare to your readings. You may discover what the water quality issue is

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back