Little old Eel tank

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would throw a few videos into a Build post for the big old Eel tank, thanks for all the kind words thus far, lots and lots of questions about this tank :)
The start, base skeleton :) excited

Bit more scaping

Coming to a finish with the scape, looking great

Water in, exciting times ahead

Added a cleaner wrasse in, hell cool

few more friends added today

Big water change, all looking 100%

Love this tank and inhabitants

thanks for watching, any questions, feel free to buzz me

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing and I love the video progression. Super clever use of pipes for homes for the eels and they blend in so well to the rock work! Did you choose to keep the tank bare bottom for cleaning or aesthetic purposes? I imagine with that many big fish and eels you have quite a bit of waste so a bare bottom is easier to clean. Love the tank man, looks fantastic!!

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks amazing and I love the video progression. Super clever use of pipes for homes for the eels and they blend in so well to the rock work! Did you choose to keep the tank bare bottom for cleaning or aesthetic purposes? I imagine with that many big fish and eels you have quite a bit of waste so a bare bottom is easier to clean. Love the tank man, looks fantastic!!
thanks for the kind words, in the planning stages, we decided to keep the pipe and the rockwork up off the ground, and also bare bottom, this would allow for a couple of things, firstly ease of maintenance and cleaning, great water flow, no dead spots and in turn a great place for the eels and fish to scoot around in and hide, came out a treat
we are awaiting our new 9x3x3 tank coming soon for our larger angels and tangs, should be a blast

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"They eat anything." (as several small fish casually swim by, lol) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
hahahaha
I do keep them well fed, the Tess is a beast, he prefers his whole squid\octopus\10in gar every 3-4 days, the white eyes get pushed away if the big Angel wants dinner lol

In saying that, I did have a chuckle reading your post :)

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ribbon eel is a baby compared to these guys. Glorious!
Ribbon Eels are so cool, most people that come over see the tank for the first time and the Tess is normally hiding away as are the white eyes, and then he makes a dramatic entrance and they are like HOLY FUDGE hahah

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ribbon Eels are so cool, most people that come over see the tank for the first time and the Tess is normally hiding away as are the white eyes, and then he makes a dramatic entrance and they are like HOLY FUDGE hahah
I love eels. And they are so dramatic when they reveal themselves. I love it!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahaha
I do keep them well fed, the Tess is a beast, he prefers his whole squid\octopus\10in gar every 3-4 days, the white eyes get pushed away if the big Angel wants dinner lol

In saying that, I did have a chuckle reading your post :)
I went to your YouTube channel and watched the eel series videos with my wife and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. She was like "that large eel isn't going to fit into that top tube... no wait, nevermind", lol. They seem very well-behaved - almost like dogs. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
es.
I went to your YouTube channel and watched the eel series videos with my wife and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. She was like "that large eel isn't going to fit into that top tube... no wait, nevermind", lol. They seem very well-behaved - almost like dogs. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I had to show my mother in law that tessa. Told her my ribbon was a noodle compared to it. She was shocked.

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are great, we can pat the big fella, but try not to overdo it, and the PVC tube is 100mm all through the tank, big enough for him to get in and around comfortably :)

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my ribbon is a angel hair pasta sized next to him. Those eels are so powerful, I just stayed away. All respects for keeping them happy :)
thanks :) absolutely love them, its awesome when people come over and they dont see the eels in the tank initially then big fella comes cruising out and they are like OMG

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
little update on the tank, few q's about the copperband and feeding etc, he is eating like a pig, home made mix prawns whole, whitebait, squid, sardines and some pellets, minced together, absolutely smashes it, fish and eels look amazing
love this tank

OP
OP
The Salty Reefer

The Salty Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband is feeding like a trooper, home made mix and they all love it, really pleased with this tank and all the fish in it (and eels)
the big tess ate yesterday so he is in there somewhere just chilling,

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back