Little Red Structures

rwp101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

These things have spread over my aquarium. No clue what they are. I think they hitch hiked in on a snail. Any ideas?

20240407_195720.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know how to get rid of them without bumble bee snails
Some removal ideas:
manual removal, bumblebee snails, glue, injecting vinegar/lemon juice/kalkpaste, coral snow, etc. If you only have a few, then manual removal should work fine, otherwise I’d say to look at some of the methods used on the forum here and try out the ones you think would work best.
I’ve heard mixed reviews on the super glue method (but, most methods get mixed reviews with Vermetids).

For the vermetids, some people report success with emerald crabs, bumblebee snails, coral snow (there's a DIY recipe on here somewhere for this that's super cheap - I believe it's made from chalk), etc.

Probably the best results I’ve seen with small numbers of vermetids come from crushing the tube and setting a predator (like an emerald crab or a bumblebee snail) by the crushed tube immediately after.

The following may be helpful too:
Some people swear by bumblebee snails for vermetids, others say they’re useless, and still more say they’re effective but only over long periods of time (like 8+ months long). It may depend of the species of vermetid you have.
With regards to Coral Snow:
Some people report it eliminating their vermetid infestations while others report that it just cuts the numbers down drastically for a while.
None of these are guaranteed to work; some of them may work in some situations but not in others.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back