Little start and worm in refugium

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, my tank is doing great however, i have notice a small star and what it looks like a bristle worm in my refugium can anyone shed some light on this? Good or bad should pick them out? Not sure what to do.

20240326_195013.jpg 20240326_194827.jpg

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm and asterina starfish. Asterinas are (usually) harmless, but some people have reported that they eat coral. I will say that they can multiple like crazy.
So should i pick the asterina out of my sump, they haven't made it to my display tank yet.

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are not a problem, they are beneficial but just don't touch them with your fingers :)
The asterina are also no problem in my book. But they can multiply pretty fast like Snazzy said...
Thanks for both of response, and this are bristle worms and not fireworms?

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on whether or not you want to take the risk or not. I personally keep them because I think they’re cool looking. Just know that where there’s one, there’s probably more.
I saw a least three worms and asterinas, i hope they didn't become an issue. Is this a sign of a mature tank? I am new to the hobby 5 months in

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys, my tank is doing great however, i have notice a small star and what it looks like a bristle worm in my refugium can anyone shed some light on this? Good or bad should pick them out? Not sure what to do.

20240326_195013.jpg 20240326_194827.jpg
standard bristleworm which many regard as clean up crew and eats detritus and uneaten food. Not welcomed in my tanks
Asterinas breed like mice and Will go after zoa coral and other softies. They feed on algae but again reproduce as you can see at fast rates

OP
OP
JDR0505

JDR0505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
standard bristleworm which many regard as clean up crew and eats detritus and uneaten food. Not welcomed in my tanks
Asterinas breed like mice and Will go after zoa coral and other softies. They feed on algae but again reproduce as you can see at fast rates
Not cool then, thanks i do have zoas and othe soft corals. And i do preferd my corals

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not cool then, thanks i do have zoas and othe soft corals. And i do preferd my corals
These two below grew large and alone took down a colony of bam bam zoas until I caught them in the act. This is compared to a nickel

star1.jpg
star2.jpg

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think that having no bristle worms in the tank is near impossible. When you have live rock in your tank that is. On frags they probably be killed of when you dip the coral? But it only takes one or 2 to slip trough the net over time and they will grow their numbers. Do you have none in your tank or when you see one it's priority number one to get it out? :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do think that having no bristle worms in the tank is near impossible. When you have live rock in your tank that is. On frags they probably be killed of when you dip the coral? But it only takes one or 2 to slip trough the net over time and they will grow their numbers. Do you have none in your tank or when you see one it's priority number one to get it out? :)
My Harlequin tusk will find any and eat them. I leave all in new rock and coral in a bucket for a couple of hours. With circulation they come out. Ive found mostly babies. Ive had a 12" and 14" one in the past why they are no longer desired

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cheato makes sense, i hope it doesn't get crazy i think I'll pick them out, not sure what to do with them
There are special tanks for them:

1711504448045.png

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Harlequin tusk will find any and eat them. I leave all in new rock and coral in a bucket for a couple of hours. With circulation they come out. Ive found mostly babies. Ive had a 12" and 14" one in the past why they are no longer desired
The tusk is doing a good job then! Mmm keeping the frags or rocks in a bucket waiting for them to show themself is a good one!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back